Chapter Seventy-Eight

"The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches... born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies... and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not... and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives... the one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies...."

Cassiopeia and James stared at Dumbledore as he delivered the news about a prophecy the new Divination teacher had told him. The man sighed sadly as he finished and it was clear he feared for the two. 

"What does this mean for us?" James asked, "How do we know the prophecy is even true?"

"We don't," Dumbledore replied, "But you need to be careful. Be wary of what has been prophesied."

Cassiopeia shook her head, "It doesn't matter about the prophecy, it only matters if the Dark Lord hears of it and believes what is said - and he doesn't know about it, right?"

Dumbledore lowered his eyes as he slowly told them, "Sadly it seems I was not alone when Sybill had the prophecy. Severus Snape was apprehended as he was halfway through informing Voldemort."

"So, um, what does that mean will happen to us?"

"Voldemort knows about half of the prophecy, he knows a child will be born with the power to defeat him."

James scoffed, "He might not believe it. We might still be safe."

"No, James. This is the Dark Lord we are talking about. He's paranoid. Of course, he will believe it," Cassiopeia told him as she held onto James's arm.

Dumbledore nodded his head, "Now the prophecy could be about your son but it could also be Alice and Frank Longbottom's child. They too are being informed and will be given the same advice as you. Go into hiding, protect yourselves and your son."

"Who will he go after?"

"I don't know. If I had to guess then I would say you but that is only because of who you once were and the interest he had in you. It would make sense for him to still view you as a threat and then for the prophecy to perfectly describe your son, it would be foolish of him to not think of your family."

Cassiopeia sighed, "Thank you, Dumbledore. We will go into hiding."

"Don't tell me where, Cassiopeia," Dumbledore told her, "You must have a secret keeper but only one. No one must know who this secret keeper is."

As soon as the headmaster had left, James began to pace around the room and constantly ran his hand through his hair, "This can't be happening, Cass. Why can't we just be left alone?"

She pulled him into a tight hug, "We have to pack a few things and get ready to leave somewhere safe. Contact Sirius, he will be our secret keeper."

"Why Sirius?"

"Because he would die before giving us up. We shouldn't burden Remus, not with the issues he already has to deal with."

James nodded as he watched Cassiopeia begin to pack things they needed, "How are you so calm?"

"If I don't act calm then nothing will get done, James. We need to protect ourselves. We don't know what the Dark Lord has planned for us."