Chapter Thirty-Nine

Cassiopeia was unwillingly pulled into a conversation between the death-eaters as they had chosen to sit beside the girl and still believed she was going to become one of them. Even though she tried to avoid being part of the group, their constant glances over to her and saying her name as though she was supposed to say something made it impossible for her to pretend she wasn't there. 

"I hate having to do my patrols with Evans," Rosier complained about his prefect duties, "Why Dumbledore made her a prefect I don't know. She brings shame to Hogwarts."

"Evans makes a mockery of the wizarding community," Snape added causing Cassiopeia to stare at the boy in confusion. 

She couldn't stop herself from asking, "Did she reject you? You used to love her. I remember how you used to look at her as though she was the best thing you had ever encountered."

Snape glared at Cassiopeia, "I don't know what you are on about."

"You loved her. Which is why you hate Potter because he loves her too."

The group watched the encounter bemused as Cassiopeia had a talent of destroying the person's argument. 

"I was misguided," Snape drawled out, "I am no longer friends with her."

"Was that your choice or hers?" Cassiopeia questioned. 

"Why would I want to be friends with someone who likes James Potter."

Rosier laughed, "Potter really is aggravating. He thinks so highly of himself."

Snape quickly agreed, "He is the worst of the Gryffindors - wouldn't you agree Cassiopeia?"

She knew he was trying to catch her out, "I wouldn't Snape. He is a pureblood, surely someone like Evans is the worst? Her being a muggle."

Snape deepened his glare at her, "Of course, Cassiopeia."

"Or even Sirius Black," Mulciber changed the conversation, "He brings the most shame to our blood status. A pureblood from one of the most respected houses and look at him."

Regulus sighed, "Try being his brother. I had to put up with him for years. At least he has been disowned now so I won't have to ever talk to him again."

"Your parents should have done it sooner," Rabastan spoke for the first time in the conversation, "It would have saved them a lot of shame if they had."

Cassiopeia wanted to leave but knew it would raise suspicions if she did, "They hoped he would change."

"No one can change," Rabastan laughed, "We have all decided where our loyalties lie. And luckily, all of us here have chosen the right side. Haven't we Cassiopeia?"

She stared at the boy she had once considered her closest friend, "I believe I have chosen the right side."