Chapter Six

Sleep seemed near impossible for Cassiopeia, for no matter how many times she tried, she would always end up staring at the ceiling, thinking about the screams of her dearest sister. Questions raced through her head as she wondered how Andromeda was and whether everything was going to be okay in the morning. She wanted to go to her but knew if her parents or even Bellatrix caught her they would not only punish her but Andromeda too.

She gave up on trying to sleep and crept downstairs to pour herself a glass of water. The whole house was in silence, the kitchen desolate, as even their house-elf had gone to bed. Cassiopeia stared at the space in which she had last seen her sister, knowing this was where something terrible had taken place. She tried to push the thoughts of anger towards her parents away. They were simply trying to protect their daughter from the people they feared, even though Cassiopeia had found no issues with any of the muggles she had met at Hogwarts. 

As she carefully walked back up to her bedroom, she realised she was not the only person in the house awake. At first, she thought she was imagining things, but the second bang from Andromeda's room made her certain she was awake. 

Timidly, she knocked on the door before opening it slightly and slipping into Andromeda's bedroom. 

Shock flashed across her sister's face before a sad expression took hold, "You never came in here."

"What do you mean?"

"You can't tell anyone, not even Narcissa, that you saw me."

Cassiopeia felt tears threaten to fall as she saw the two suitcases beside her sister, "Drom."

Andromeda froze at her sister's nickname for her. She had hoped she wouldn't see her, knowing it would only make it harder for her to leave. Andromeda leant down to hug Cassiopeia, before staring at her directly in the eye, "Choose the light, Cassie."

Cassiopeia was left speechless as she stood hopelessly, watching as her sister finished packing the last of her belongings, and then as she held onto them and apparated away. The house suddenly felt colder for the youngest Black as she realised this was the beginning of something. Of what she was not yet sure. But she was certain there was a storm brewing. 

As she looked around the room, she realised she had so many questions for her sister, that she should have said more, rather than just standing idle as she left. But now, she would never have the chance to. 

Light poured into her bedroom as she pulled the curtains back, it had been only a few hours since Andromeda had left and she had hardly slept since. She peered out of the window but was met only with an abandoned street. 

"Cassiopeia, you look awful," Bellatrix commented as she walked into the kitchen, "Did you not sleep well?"

She shrugged before she said, "I struggled to sleep. I'm sure I'll have a better night's sleep tonight."

"You better, Cassiopeia. Bellatrix's wedding is approaching and you need to look well. There are plenty of respectful families and we must ensure all are impressed," Druella told her daughter.

"Yes, and my three daughters must uphold our reputation," Cygnus coldly uttered, "Especially with Sirius. I do pity, my sister, having a son like that. He is invited to the wedding, but I'm sure everyone would much prefer for him to stay away."

Cassiopeia frowned slightly before reminding herself she was being silly to think her sister's absence would be discussed. The moment Andromeda Black left the house, she was no longer a part of their family. It would be as though she had never existed. Instead, Cassiopeia would have to forget the sister she had loved the most.