Chapter Forty-Three

"Professor, may I come in?" Cassiopeia asked as she peered around the door. 

Slughorn grinned at the sight of one of his favourite students, "Ah yes, Miss Black, come in, come in."

Cassiopeia smiled over at the man as she walked over to him, "I hope I'm not causing you any inconvenience."

"Never, Miss Black, I always have time for my students. How may I help you?"

"Well, I've been struggling with brewing the Draught of Living Death so I was wondering whether you could possibly help me."

Professor Slughorn smiled as he nodded his head, "A very advanced potion. Only Snape has managed to brew it so far. Although, you are not far behind him. Of course, I will help you, Miss Black."

Cassiopeia graciously thanked him as she fetched all the ingredients needed for the potion. She then eagerly listened as Slughorn told her what to do. As the two worked together to complete the potion, Cassiopeia constantly told him about how potions was one of her favourite lessons and that he was by far the best teacher at Hogwarts. She knew she was buttering him up and was, therefore, becoming one of the students she had always rolled her eyes at but she knew he would prove useful in the future. 

"You have done it, Miss Black!" Slughorn exclaimed, "Very well done. I am impressed."

"Thank you, professor," Cassiopeia told him as she cleared up the workspace and bottled the potion up safely, "Really, thank you for helping me."

"I will always help my favourite students," Slughorn told her happily, "This leads nicely on what I am about to say. I am sure you have heard of my club in which only the brightest students of Hogwarts are invited to. It is no surprise that I ask you, Miss Black, to join."

Cassiopeia pretended to be surprised as the professor watched her carefully, "Thank you, professor. It would be such an honour to be part of your club."

"There will be a meeting in a few weeks time," Slughorn informed her, "I will tell you more details closer to the time."

As soon as Cassiopeia left the classroom, she let out a huge sigh, knowing all of her acting had guaranteed her a place in his club. She was exhausted after having to pretend she needed his help for a whole hour.