16 ⊳ HOUSE OF RISK.

DENOUEMENT
xvi. house of risk
❝YOU TWO ARE MEANT TO BE.❞

"JOY!"

"JOY!"

UPON HEARING the name, Sydney winced; that certainly was not the first line of the play. She lowered the camera in her hands and glanced over to the audience with worried eyes, watching as they began to look around the room, confusion evident on their faces. Eventually, Sydney's gaze landed on the disguised girl, Joy Mercer, once again, noticing how she sunk further into her seat and pulled her hood further down her face. It was odd to see her again after such a long time – so much had changed since the day they had last seen her, and it was weird to even think about.

The last time they had seen Joy Mercer, she was in her uniform and sat down beside Patricia Williamson, her roommate and best friend, ready for a French class. Seconds before the practice exam they had been given was about to begin, she had been dragged out by their headteacher and never seen again... until then.

Contrasting the red and white uniform she had been wearing when she had been taken, she was now wearing all dark colours in order to hide herself in the shadows better. Minus the clothing she was wearing, she seemed different. The bags under her eyes were more prominent than they used to be, her hair seemed to be in an unkept ponytail (though Sydney couldn't particularly see it that well due to her hoodie and beanie), and she looked... broken, almost.

"Joy..." Patricia began, repeating the word/name that she had yelled aloud and causing the audience to glance back over to the stage as she continued, improvising, "Joy... joy and sorrow!" Sydney let out the breath that she had been holding, thankful that the purple-haired girl had managed to think of something on the spot – it certainly made the audience less confused, not being aware that the girl was completely off-script as she continued, "The joy of Egypt! Its monarch Tutankhamun is dead... and, uh- and sorrow sweeps the land! Let no man enter and desecrate his sacred pyramid!"

After the introduction, everything else seemed to go smoothly enough as the play continued, with nobody realising that Patricia had made up the entire introduction, Mick and Mara finally turning up for their scenes after having skipped the introduction, and nobody noticing that the girl who had gone missing was sat in the audience. Due to this, Sydney found herself enjoying her role quite a bit and didn't exactly pay attention to much of the play – she simply snapped a few photos during each scene and made sure that they were of good quality, and also kept an eye on the teachers around, Victor, Rufus, and Joy – the last two on that list seemed worried and as though both were hiding from someone, whom Sydney presumed to be Victor, who looked as emotionless as ever.

"Our work is very important - we must go." Mick's voice said, causing Sydney to actually begin paying attention to the play once again as she heard the familiar words – her cue.