21 ⊳ HOUSE OF MASKS.

DENOUEMENT
xxi. house of masks
❝SHE BRINGS OUT THE BEST IN ME.❞

"HEY, YOU'RE BACK!" Fabian Rutter exclaimed as he opened the bedroom door leading into Nina's and Amber's bedroom, with the latter having not been seen in a while – Sydney had texted her a few times so that she didn't miss yet another Sibuna meeti...

"HEY, YOU'RE BACK!" Fabian Rutter exclaimed as he opened the bedroom door leading into Nina's and Amber's bedroom, with the latter having not been seen in a while – Sydney had texted her a few times so that she didn't miss yet another Sibuna meeting, but was greeted with numerous texts in response, which, summed up, basically said that she was planning something amazing.

"Did you find what you were looking for?" Patricia questioned, glancing at what Nina had in her hands as she sat atop her bed – it seemed to be some sort of old newspaper, which didn't exactly seem like something that'd help them much or something that the girl would have skipped an entire day of classes for.

"Yeah, it must've been important considering you've been missing all day." Sydney added, sending the American girl a small smile in the process – it had been weird to make decisions about telling people about the search without Nina, and had also been weird to spend an entire day without seeing her and Fabian flirt.

"Not exactly, but-." Nina began, passing the nerd of the group the old newspaper clipping that she had been holding in her hands, and presumably reading, as she continued, informing the group, "I did find this in the attic."

Peering over Fabian's shoulder, the first thing that caught the blonde prankster's attention was, of course, the photograph. Although, her eyes widened as she noticed what the picture was of – it was a grainy photograph of three figures: two men and one woman. The woman? Sarah Frobisher-Smythe. The two men? Victor Rodenmaar Junior (confirmed within the article, calling him 'Son of the late Victor Rodenmaar Senior') and Rufus Zeno, who had not aged a single day. Why were they in the newspaper? Well, as the very big headline read at the top of the article, 'BOARDING SCHOOL FOUNDED ON ANUBIS ESTATE'

It was extremely peculiar – Rufus Zeno and Victor Rodenmaar both looked as though they hadn't aged in the slightest, whilst Sarah Frobisher-Smythe had most certainly aged. Of course, Sydney Anderson was well aware from her fashionista friend, Amber Millington, that moisturiser worked wonders for wrinkly skin, but she didn't think that they performed a miracle as big as the one she was witnessing with her own eyes.

"This photo was actually taken in 1960?" Patricia inquired, taking the newspaper and sitting on Nina's bed as her eyes scanned the photo, looking at the man who kidnapped her not so long ago and the creepy guardian she'd lived with for a few years – those faces were ingrained in her memory, and not a single feature had changed on their faces in almost fifty years, "Rufus and Victor have hardly changed."

"Yeah, and Sarah's aged normally, I know." Nina added, pointing to the elderly woman on the photo, named as Sarah Frobisher-Smythe, and looking quite a bit different to the Sarah Frobisher-Smythe that they had met – she had aged like any normal human, yet was standing next to two people who didn't.