28 ⊳ HOUSE OF HUSH.

DENOUEMENT
xxviii. house of hush
❝I DID SAY I'D MAKE IT UP TO YOU.❞

WITH NO MERCY, Rufus Zeno's nails continued to dig into Nina Martin's porcelain skin, certain to leave marks on her wrist afterwards

WITH NO MERCY, Rufus Zeno's nails continued to dig into Nina Martin's porcelain skin, certain to leave marks on her wrist afterwards. Due to the pain and the terrifying situation, the poor American continued to shriek loudly whilst Jerome Clarke and Sydney Anderson frantically pulled at the girl's arms, using all of their strength to try and separate her from the maniac known as Rufus Zeno, who eventually let go of the girl and released her from his harmful grip. Instantly, Nina gently rubbed her sore wrist as she took an extremely deep breath, trying to stop her shakiness and to calm her breathing.

Meanwhile, the dangerous man went to bolt out of the kitchen, trying to formulate and make his escape route as he tried to navigate around the kitchen counters and get out of Anubis House as fast as he possibly could have done, but as the leather jacket clad man went to run, Sydney Anderson chased after him and attempted to halt him in his tracks, which honestly, was not her brightest idea.

In her heroic moment, Sydney Anderson seemed to have forgotten her lack of both strength and speed - two things that she most certainly needed to even dare to take on a man like Rufus Zeno, who was taller, stronger, and faster than her.

She didn't even slow him down.

Her lack of those two qualities caused the man to simply scoff as he pushed the female prankster out of his way, like she wasn't even an issue to move, and that allowed him to escape the kitchen as the girl tripped over her own two feet and went to fall backwards, fortunately being caught by Jerome Clarke, who quickly wrapped his arm around her waist and grabbed her shoulder to steady her.

"You okay?" Jerome murmured to the girl, turning her around so that he could see her face and determine if she was being truthful - he also did a small once-over with very worried eyes, checking for any injuries; thankfully, she had none.

"I should be asking you that, dummy." Sydney chuckled, practically falling into his arms as the pair of them wrapped their arms around one another, sharing an extremely tight hug and finding the source of comfort that they needed in that moment from one another.

They were each other's safety blankets.

"Aw, cute." Alfie Lewis mumbled as he, alongside Fabian Rutter, entered the room, causing the pair of blondes to pull away from their hug and to send a sharp glare to the boy, causing him to shut up.

Glancing back to his blonde childhood best friend, Jerome held out the puzzle piece to her, telling her, "I hope this is worth it."

"It is." Sydney assured him, taking the important artifact and then passing it over to Nina, who had a wide smile on her lips as she took it - it was in safe hands now - then, the female prankster turned back to face the boy with a small grateful grin on her face, "This means a lot to us - thanks, Jerome."