17 ⊳ HOUSE OF HAZARD.

DENOUEMENT
xvii. house of hazard
❝WITH ALL DUE RESPECT, SIR-.❞

HER MOTHER ATTEMPTED to grab the steering wheel to get them out of the way, but it was far

HER MOTHER ATTEMPTED to grab the steering wheel to get them out of the way, but it was far... far... too late.

The sound had to be the most haunting and horrendous thing – the sounds that still haunted her to this day.

The sound of pained and agonised screeches coming from those whom she loved with a mix of her own thrown in there, although she couldn't really distinguish them properly; the sound of a million shards of glass shattering; and the intensified sound of bones crunching filled the girl's ears, lodging themselves in her mind and being trapped in there for seemingly the rest of her life, as they would not allow her to forget the memory.

Then most of the sounds came to a halt. She could hear a faint buzzing noise, and some far away chatter and yelps for help that seemed as though they were coming from outside the vehicle, although she didn't pay attention to it. The shallow breaths of her parents were apparent, but they were worryingly shallow, and Sydney wondered why they weren't calling out.

"Sydney!" A voice called out, causing Sydney to shoot up from her bed with wide eyes, the call of her name having snapped her out of her nightmare, although her breathing was rather fast as her chest rapidly rose up and down, the prankster's eyes darting around the room as she attempted to ground herself, before glancing over to the person who had called her name – Mara Jaffray, her roommate, "Are you okay? You were rolling around in your sleep like you were panicked or something, and it's not the first time-."

"Mara, I'm fine – just a bad night." Sydney assured the girl, brushing her fingers through her hair as she got out of bed, quickly grabbing her things to get ready, and once she was ready, she noticed how quiet the room had gone, causing her to glance over to the third bed in the room, which was empty and made, "Where's Patricia?"

"Trudy said she went out with her family, but I thought she'd be back by now." Mara answered, sniffling slightly as she did so – it was almost like she was crying, causing the blonde-haired prankster to glance over at her and look at her through the mirror, seeing her watery eyes – something was wrong.

"Are you okay?" Sydney asked the nerd carefully, not wanting to tread too far and upset the girl further – whatever it was, she was distraught about it and didn't need to shed anymore tears about it.

In response, the nerd shook her head as she glanced at the prankster through the mirror, wiping away a few tears that were on her cheeks as she began to ramble slightly, telling the girl, "I did something really bad, and I need to talk to Patricia."