47 ⊳ HOUSE OF EVIDENCE.

DENOUEMENT
xlvii. house of evidence
❝SOUNDS LIKE HELL.❞

NINA WAS GONE

NINA WAS GONE.

With bated breath, Sydney Anderson's eyes remained locked on the closed passageway in front of her, as though she was demanding it to open with her eyes – demanding it to return her best friend from its nasty claws, demanding it to return Nina Martin to the rightful place among Sibuna. Yet, it didn't. As tingling nerves crept down Sydney's spine, the unwavering wall didn't stutter; it didn't make a hiccup, nor did it jump slightly. Unwavering, the closed passageway stayed still – just like time did.

That was the case, of course, until Nina Martin's scared screech shattered the hold that time had on the members of Sibuna.

"Nina!" Fabian Rutter's desperate voice instantly called out, begging to be heard – thankfully, it appeared that wish was granted, as Nina cried out his name from the other side of the wall, "Nina, what is it?!"

"I think there's something in here."

In that instant, Sydney's blood turned cold. The tunnels had never been nice to the members of Sibuna – in fact, they had been the exact opposite. How many times had they almost died? How many times had their life been in imminent danger? How many times had they faced those threats together, rather than alone, and still almost lost their grip of life? How much time did they have before they lost Nina Martin? That final thought seemed to be the one that plagued everyone's mind, as they all turned to look at one another with matching expressions – widened eyes, lips slightly parted, pale skin: panic.

"Well, what's the plan? We need a plan! Tell me you have a plan!" Alfie Lewis, still stuck inside the lethal spiderweb of strings, asked Fabian Rutter frantically.

"Help! You have to get me out!" Nina sobbed; despite the wall separating them muffling her voice, it didn't help in muffling the fear that poisoned her tone, only making the members even more frantic and desperate to find a plan that would work.

Conceptualising just how much time that their leader had before the guillotine dropped was an impossible task. None of them on the other side of the wall had any clue what was inside the room with Nina Martin; they were just haunted by her terrified screams that continued to linger in their mind, forever reminding them of the threat that was waiting for the right time to strike and steal their friend from them perhaps forever.

"It has to be the big spider that holds the door open." Fabian concluded, taking the big spider from his back before hastily making his way towards the spider-shaped hole in the wall, not wasting even a single second as he expertly weaved through the web.