23 ⊳ HOUSE OF BRIBES.

DENOUEMENT
xxiii. house of bribes
❝IT'S NOT JUST ME GETTING CULT VIBES FROM THIS, RIGHT?❞

NOT ONCE DID Sydney Anderson expect to bury her parents before she had even had a slither of adulthood life

NOT ONCE DID Sydney Anderson expect to bury her parents before she had even had a slither of adulthood life. Not once did she expect for her parents to die before they had even reached fifty years old - they had no health issues, afterall. Not once did she expect for the opportunity to make her parents proud - for them to see her at graduation, see her get a job, see her get married, see her have kids - to be ripped away from her. Yet, suddenly, all those opportunities turned to dust in the blink of an eye, and Sydney Anderson loathed that with a burning passion.

Maybe it was why she feared change so much, because how was it that two people so present in her life disappeared within mere seconds?

It was peculiar - an odd feeling.

Despite there being quite a few things that Sydney could have been sad about (not having a 'normal' childhood and being left in a boarding school because her parents decided that they weren't ready for a child and that their careers were too important to properly look after her until she turned ten years old), she had never really felt true sadness. Everyone called her a ray of sunshine, like she was a mini version of Trudy Rehmann, yet if they saw her as she stood at the graves of her parents, she'd probably be unrecognisable to her housemates.

No longer was she like sunshine - instead, she was a meteorite that had fallen to the ground. She had shone for so long and provided warmth and happiness to many people - her aura exuded those two qualities for so long, until she burnt out and broke into several tiny pieces as she crashed to the bottom.

And when she crashed?

God, did it create an impact.

Sydney didn't seem like herself anymore, as she cried as though her brain was being shredded from the inside, and emotional pain - pure pain - flowed out of her every pore and was laced in each and every single one of her sobs. Everyone at the funeral - mainly co-workers of her parents, plus her aunt and cousin - had watched the girl with attentive and cautious eyes, noticing how she soon had begun shaking within seconds of the service, before they soon turned into small hiccups as she tried to hold back her tears, but she couldn't. Even those who didn't know Sydney Anderson felt broken by the poor girl's sobs, and those who were parents went home and cradled their child a little tighter that night.

Sydney Anderson, however? She didn't get that opportunity.

That night, she went to her aunt's house and continued to wail, the echoes of her cries bouncing off the four walls, as she yelled at herself for not paying attention to her parent's final words and that the conversation - the last conversation she'd ever be able to have with her parents - was simply just a blur in her mind.