24 ⊳ HOUSE OF STARS.

DENOUEMENT
xxiv. house of stars
❝I FELL FOR YOU.❞

AS SOON AS Amber's exclamation of disgust had blurted out of her mouth, the members of Sibuna quickly hid themselves behind the wall as they prayed that nobody would find them behind the wall, though it seemed unlikely

AS SOON AS Amber's exclamation of disgust had blurted out of her mouth, the members of Sibuna quickly hid themselves behind the wall as they prayed that nobody would find them behind the wall, though it seemed unlikely. Silence, typically seen to be peaceful, instead felt like it was choking the members as it engulfed the room, and it felt as though the slightest breath the members let out or any hint of movement they made was easily detected and heard - every second was nerve-wracking with their hearts thumping in their chests at a ridiculously abnormal pace, and panic was clear on all of their faces as they waited to be caught, and one could only imagine what Victor and the rest of the society would do to them. Their eyes were squeezed shut tightly, hands gripping onto one another for any source of comfort as they waited – time went teasingly slowly, alongside the footsteps of Victor Rodenmaar, who only came closer.

Step.

Another step.

And another step.

Until...

"It's only a rat." Victor eventually spoke up, announcing the news to the rest of the society and allowing for them to continue their ceremony as he stepped away from the wall in which the students were hidden behind, and the members of the secret group felt like they were finally able breathe again as they all let out shaky breaths and pulled their hands away from their mouths; they had a very lucky escape, but who knew if they would ever be that lucky again?

However, there was one thing (other than that they were extremely lucky to escape that situation) that Sydney Anderson knew for certain: she had never loved or appreciated rats more than she did in that exact moment.

After that panic-inducing situation, the members of Sibuna were more than ready and extremely eager to finally leave the freezing cold cellar, but were unable to do so until the ceremony was over and all of the members of the secret society had left Anubis House, or else it wasn't safe for them to take their leave. Due to that reasoning, the group remained in there for a while longer in complete silence – the only noise that echoed off the cellar walls was the sounds of the secret society chanting and completing their ceremony, which soon came to an end as they pulled off their golden and orange robes and begun to pile out of the cellar.

Thus, about ten or twenty minutes after that (Sibuna didn't bring down a timer, so it was a rough estimate), the members of Sibuna found themselves shuffling through the secret entrance and back into the kitchen, with Fabian Rutter being the first to stand as he declared, "That was so close."

"I swear, I have never felt more appreciative of rats more than that moment right there." Sydney spoke through breathy chuckles, with a few others nodding in agreement - without the rat, they would have most certainly been caught.