27 ⊳ HOUSE OF REVELATION.

DENOUEMENT
xxvii. house of revelation
❝TRUST ME.❞

HAVING MANAGED TO sneak away from school, Jerome Clarke was now concealed within the darkness, hiding among the shadows, along with the person who he was most afraid of - the man with a name who struck fear into his core, like lightning sending a ...

HAVING MANAGED TO sneak away from school, Jerome Clarke was now concealed within the darkness, hiding among the shadows, along with the person who he was most afraid of - the man with a name who struck fear into his core, like lightning sending a bolt of electricity through somebody.

Rufus Zeno.

It was quite ironic that his name felt like it could give you a shock of electricity, considering that the meaning of Zeno is 'gift of Zeus', and Jerome would have typically chuckled at that and found it amusing, making a joke out of it. Although, simply making a joke in the presence of Rufus Zeno seemed like a ludicrous and terrible idea - one that could get somebody mummified (like the man had threatened to do to Jerome). Thus, he didn't risk it.

And that was exactly the reason why Jerome had taken the artifact out of his bag, slipping it into the hands of the dangerous man, who instantly took it and welcomed it, cradling it close to his chest like it was his baby that needed protection.

"At last, it's one of the relics. It has been a long wait." Rufus breathed out, almost mumur-like as he spoke to himself, before glancing to Jerome and addressing the blonde boy who had given him the artifact, complimenting him, "You've done well. Now, I need you to get me the rest of these."

Noticing that Rufus Zeno had put the artifact in his pocket, Jerome protested against it instantly, working up the courage to tell the man, "You can't keep it."

"Why not?" Rufus asked, with confusion plastered across his face as he watched the boy, whose job was to find him and give him the relics, so why couldn't he keep them?

"Because if they realise it's gone, they'll know that I'm onto them." Jerome informed the man, knowing that he had to give the puzzle piece back to Alfie Lewis and that he couldn't let the man keep it.

However, Rufus Zeno seemed indifferent, despite the explanation, stating, "That's not my problem."

"What?"

"Now, call me when you get the rest of the others." Rufus instructed the boy, ignoring how confused he seemed as he vanished further into the shadows, his clothing matching with the darkness around him - and his personality, really.

"Great." Jerome muttered, picking up his blazer and slinging it onto his shoulder, before rushing back to Anubis House in hopes that nobody had noticed that he was missing.

Luckily for him, nobody had seemed to notice the lack of his presence, especially considering they hadn't had supper yet and most people were doing their own thing, which enabled Jerome Clarke to quickly slip into his bedroom, dread overcoming his face as he realised he'd have to face his roommate and reveal to his friend that he hadn't kept the artifact.