48 ⊳ HOUSE OF SORRY.

DENOUEMENT
xlviii. house of sorry
❝ADMIT YOUR TRUE FEELINGS ALREADY.❞

CONTENT WARNING: panic attack within the first scene—please stay safe!

NOBODY EXPECTED IT. Once the harsh sentencing was delivered, students and teachers alike suddenly leapt forward, arguing incredulously in defence of the once untarnished student—the student who had gone so long without even a blemish on her record, but was now being expelled from Amun Boarding School. Of course, nobody ever expected Mara Jaffray to go unpunished for writing the slanderous article against Vera Devenish, especially after all of the rookie journalist's evidence was proven inadmissible, but expulsion was the equivalent to a death sentence in the student's eyes, and their friend was being sent to the electric chair right in front of them. What were they meant to do?

At first, there was confusion. Mara Jaffray stared at the head teacher with widened eyes, her mouth opening and closing despite no words falling from her lips. Then, something did fall: a tear. Initially it was just one, but that was simply the opening act for sadness before the floodgates opening and several more salty tears trickled down her cheeks. Soon enough, it became the type of sobbing where it felt like she was unable to breathe, her chest rapidly rising up and down, heartbeat pounding so furiously that it was the only thing that she could hear, and breaths barely managed to be choked out. Mara Jaffray couldn't breathe. She couldn't breathe, she couldn't breathe, she couldn't—.

"—Mara." Through the haze, a voice called out... it was slightly muffled, the pumping of Mara's own heartbeat sounding in her ears preventing her from fully understanding what was happening, however the person seemed to understand that and continued to call out her name a few times until it eventually clicked: it was Sydney Anderson, "Mara, are you with me?"

Without the strength to speak, Mara Jaffray simply nodded in response. It was almost imperceptible, but Sydney Anderson somehow managed to notice it.

"What are five things you can see?" Sydney asked; Mara's eyebrows almost furrowed, not understanding why the blonde was asking that question in such a serious moment, "You don't have to say it out loud if you don't want—just think it."

Five things she could see: Sydney Anderson was just in front of her; Joy Mercer was on her right; Trudy Rehmann was on her left; Jerome Clarke was behind Sydney Anderson, and Patricia Williamson was collecting her bag from behind them.

"You've done it?" Sydney questioned, getting another nod from the panic-ridden girl, "What are four things you can feel?"

Joy Mercer's hand on her shoulder; Trudy Rehmann's hand on her arm; the fabric of her school shirt, and the plastic of the uncomfortable chair that she was currently sitting on.