31

Yena sat down quietly in Chenle's car while Donghyuck drove his own- she looked ahead staring at the road in front but was busy pondering over how she should clear out the misunderstanding from earlier

Yena cleared her throat preparing herself to speak up instead of just letting him have the wrong idea stuck in his mind.

"Umm.. about earlie—"
"Did I ask?"
Chenle interjected- his hands gripping the steering wheel tighter as he gritted his teeth in anger, recollecting the scene.

"I mean it was just—"
"A misunderstanding?"
Yena gave him a nod and realizing he could not see her cause he was driving, she mumbled out a 'yes'.

"So? Do I look like I care?"
Chenle glanced at the girl before looking back at the road.

"It looked like it though.."
Yena muttered slouching down in her seat- a frown forming on her lips cause his words conflicted his actions but she decided to remain silent for the rest of the drive.

"Oh they're here"
Renjun said, making the rest turn to face the entrance- Chenle in the front and Yena and Donghyuck bickering at the back, softly so that Chenle would not hear the two.

"This idiot did something I bet"
Jeno commented watching Yena mad at Donghyuck for whatsoever reason it was.

"Yena get seated, we still have to discuss about the case."
"I'll get back to you later"
Mark said and she nodded, sitting down at the couch in Chenle's office cabinet and they walked out of the room to converse.

"I don't get how the killer is related to your parents..?"
"For that we must know who the killer is"
"And we don't"
"So leave that point.."
Jaemin shrugged scratching out the point that he had written on the sheet of paper in his hand.

"Maybe if we figure out on which case did all of them work together on, we can get to know the killer's identity"
"Yes, but how?"
"Their room is left untouched since, I'm sure there's some clue back home"
Chenle said and they gave him a nod.

"Then search if you can find anything tonight"
Chenle wordlessly nodded- trying to get his mind to stop reflecting his past events with his parents.

"Though we know when he's going to attempt we don't know who his target is"
"We're always left hanging, it's annoying"
"Yea, we're still missing out on a lot of information"
Jisung sighed out, sitting down on the nearby chair- exhausted.

"Have you checked surveillance cameras?"
"I did but they were hacked right at the time when the killer was at the scene"
Chenle breathed out air, head hung low in disappointment that nothing was working out.

Meanwhile, Yena being a person who easily gets bored, she stood up walking over to his desk and picked up the black file that she first found hoping to pass some time.

Going through the victims information- her eyes widened noticing the common pattern in the dates.

"28...?"
Works struck in her mouth just by reading those numbers out- the sorrowful news of her parents on that very day clouded her mind and she placed the file back with trembling hands, not wanting to know anything more.

"Yena—"
Donghyuck paused noticing the girl's changing demeanor.

"Everything good?"
Yena simply gave him a small nod- huffing out air in feeble attempts to calm her nerves.

"What's taking you so long?"
The rest stepped in, soon realizing something was wrong with the girl.

Chenle looked at where she had her eyes glued onto- the file.

"Did you read it?"
Yena looked at him before giving him a small nod.

"What's wrong Yena?"
Jisung stepped forward, looking down at the panic stricken girl.

"Nothing.."
Yena muttered, before exhaling out as she closed her eyes to get herself together.

"The case,"
Yena paused before looking at the calendar that hung onto the wall.

"We have just three more days before his next crime.."
They sighed out, giving her a nod in unison already knowing it.

"Who could his target be?"
"Isn't it obvious?"
Yena said, and Renjun raised his brow, confused.

"Don't be stupid, it's not what you think"
Chenle glanced at the girl, understanding the meaning underlying her words.

"It is exactly what I think"
"Mansoo was his target after Minhee's death cause he was the witness and now I'm the witness for Boa's death, so who do you think is his next target?"
Yena's words might not have affected the others as much as it did to Chenle because what he feared was going to happen.

"Shut up Yena"
Chenle walked out of the room not wanting to look at the girl because everyone he did the same pain returned.

"We'll protect you Yena, don't worry"
Mark placed a hand on her shoulder giving her a small pat, assuringly.

Even if they did succeed in protecting her,
Will she survive from the killer..?

?