TWENTY

"These nights go by, they're falling fast
Here in a moment, gone in a flash
I'd stop the world to know everything is ok"
__________________________

GABRIELA

I breathed in heavily collecting myself and pulled away while rubbing my eyes. Once I calmed myself down I looked up seeing Gabriel already staring at me worriedly, he brings up his hand and moves my hair out of my face.

He came closer to me and I spoke up "I'm sorry I ran out like that..." I apologized while trying to keep some distance between us but he came closer bringing his hand up, wiping my wet cheeks for me.

"I don't know why you're apologizing, does it have to do with them?" He asked not saying it but I already knew what he meant.

"Yeah..." That's all I said earning a sigh from him.

"We don't have to go back, we can eat in the living room" I shook my head quickly. His family were trying to be nice by cooking Dominican food, obviously they don't know what happened. I knew they were going to ask questions but this was my chance to at least make myself known to his parents. I didn't want to be rude...

"No I want to go" I said and he nodded his head asking me again to make sure if I was really sure. Once I convinced Gabriel that I was ready to go back he laced our hands together and as we walked back into the dining room. As we walked in all conversations stopped and I quickly pulled my hands away from Gabriel's when I saw his father's cold eyes glaring at me.

"Are you okay Gabriela?" Victoria asked and I nodded my head sitting in between her and Gabriel.

"Gabriela, do you have any siblings?" Gabriel's mother asked and I gulped nervously, feeling Gabriel squeezing my thigh comforting me.

"I do, an older brother... but I haven't seen him in a few years. We were never really close" I said and she hummed in response.

"That's sad to hear dear" She answered and I nodded my head, picking up the spoon and scooped up some rice with beans.

"Grandma my teacher gave me a present for having good grades" Ava said excitedly and I smiled looking over at her.

"É veramente buono. Ti farò una domanda e voglio che tu sia onesto" Gabriel's mother suddenly switched languages which made me looked at her. I glanced beside me seeing Gabriel looking at his mother, but it was more like glaring at her.

(That's really good. I'm going to ask you a question and I want you to be honest)

"Yeah?" Ava looked at her grandma confused.

"Ti piace la tata?"

(Do you like the nanny?)

"Don't ask her that fucking question" Gabriel slammed his hands on the table making everyone jump. Gabriel's father also stood up and stared at him like he's gone crazy.

"You're not going to talk to your mother like that!" He yelled back and Gabriel just looked at him. He knew he fucked up. I looked at Victoria beside me seeing her giving me a comforting yet a awkward smile.

"Why not? Volevo solo sapere cosa provasa per lei" Gabriel's mom spoke up.

( I wanted to know how she felt about her )

"Then why don't you ask them somewhere else and not in front of Gabriela" I looked between the two. Of course the would be talking about me in another language.