Tokoyami x reader

Tokoyami had gotten used to being alone. Nobody would come near him with his wings. The jet black almost purple feathers said it all. He was a fallen angel. A forgotten deity, a forsaken knight of good.

He didn’t expect anyone to see him. After all, humans were blocked from viewing the supernatural. He would usually sit on a bench that was against a small floral shop. He was usually hidden in shadows from the striped fabric overhang. He would watch the people strolling buy.

Studying the glow of their hearts/souls. Most people had soft blue or green aura’s. Children still had the golden hue of innocence. Sometimes one or two might manage to see him. Just for a second, a glimpse out of the corner of their eye.

He had long forgotten what it was like to interact with humans. He had been dismissed from his duties as a guardian angel. Sometimes he longed to be serving once more. To protect a soul until it’s time to pass. Yet here he sat. Worthless and powerless.

He was used to being ignored. Being forgotten. He had excepted his fate of loneliness. So when you came out of your floral shop, smiled and waved at him he nearly lost his soul. You could see him?

You had picked up one of the potted sunflowers taking it back inside with you. He sat stunned for a good few seconds. Had you actually seen him or were you waving to someone behind him? He came to the conclusion you were waving to someone else. That you hadn’t seen him.

He brushed it off as a strange incident. Nothing more. Until three days later. You had walked out per usual, muttering to yourself as you looked over the small rack of pre-cut flowers to make a bouquet. Glancing down at the list of words on your wrist every once in a while.

You had picked up a lavender stalk and a white daisy. Brow furrowed before turning to him.

“Which do you think would go better with red roses?” You questioned. He mistook your question for a passerby. Until the silence stretched on. He glanced up at you to see you peering at him intently. Wait, could you...? No, it wasn’t possible.

“It’s rude to ignore someone when they ask you something.”

He was taken aback. How was this possible?! You were a human!

“I, er, well,” he muttered eyes flickering between the lavender and daisy you held. White worked well with red, right?

“The daisies,” he nodded. You gave a contented hum as you set to work arranging the daisies amongst the roses in the bouquet. This sort of encounter continued on for quite a while. You asking him short questions or making small talk.

Tokoyami didn’t really want to admit it but you were starting to grow on him. You might be a little quiet but he preferred the silence. Besides, you two didn’t need to speak. It was odd, but you always knew what to say to him. It was as if you were the angel and he was the human.

But over time he started to notice your timid behavior around others. You seemed to shy away from customers and co-workers alike. Avoiding eye contact as best you could. You sat beside him as you braided a dandelion bracelet around his wrist. He didn’t mean to catch you iff guard with his question. He just wanted to know.

“You don’t seem to talk to any of the other humans you work with. Is something the matter?”

“I don’t, uh, usually talk to anyone. I’m shy, that and they find my eyes a little alarming,” you replied softly. His brow furrowed in bewilderment. Your eyes? They looked as normal as any other humans.

“What do you mean?” He inquired as you finished the bracelet. You fidgeted with your hands, a small frown adorning your lips.

“People find them intimidating. They have a tendency to glow. That and i can read others emotions. People don’t like that, so they don’t really trust me” you explained softly. Tokoyami found it hard to believe that someone could be intimidated by you. You were incredibly kind with a purple soul, the color of a nurturer. You helped others.

Why would they fear you all because you could tell their emotions? Humans were strange creatures.

“I trust you,” he stated bluntly. You lifted your head, a hint of a smile forming on your lips. Tokoyami wasn’t sure why his heart fluttered in his chest. Or why he had the strongest urge to hold you close to provide further comfort. But he stopped himself.

You were a human. You had a soul that was still pure. He couldn’t let you become tinged by feeling love towards him. Your voice pulled him from his thoughts as you stood up.

“Thanks, Tokoyami. That means a lot,” you replied before disappearing into the shop. He sat alone, eyes glued to the door you had entered. He might no longer be the holiest of angels. But he’d be damned if he wasn’t your guardian angel from now on.

Word count- 863