Deku- Birthday wishes

A/N- sorry this is late, I wanted to put something out for deku's birthday but I forgot to post it yesterday.
Hope you all enjoy😊

Izuku is two years old when he makes his first birthday wish. He doesn’t quite understand how wishes work, but he knows that if one asks for something, they’re more likely to get it than if they don’t ask at all.

So when he is two years old, Izuku asks for a sibling. Maybe two, if he’s lucky, because Izuku likes the idea of having a little brother or sister (or both, a part of him cheers) to hang out with and do all sorts of fun activities with.

He doesn’t get a sibling, but that’s okay. Izuku has Kacchan, at least.

When Izuku is three years old, he wishes for a strong Quirk. One that’s just like his mom’s or dad’s, or maybe a mix! He wants to be a big, bold hero, and having a great Quirk is the best way to achieve his dream.

He doesn’t get a Quirk, but that’s okay. He still has a year for it to manifest. Most kids get their Quirks at four, after all.

When Izuku is four, he wishes for a strong Quirk once again. He’s at the age when kids get theirs, and he just knows that he’s supposed to become a hero.

He doesn’t get a Quirk, but that’s okay. Maybe he’s just a late bloomer.

He wishes for a strong Quirk when he is five, and is denied.

He wishes for any Quirk at all when he is six, and is denied. He finds out that he is Quirkless. He loses Kacchan.

He wishes for a Quirk two more times, when he is seven and eight. The teasing turns into harsh taunting and pushes, Kacchan gets far too close with his explosions.

Things don’t feel quite so ‘okay’ anymore.

When he turns nine, Izuku accepts his fate. He wishes for Kacchan to be his friend again, and denies the idea of wishing for a Quirk anymore.

His wish is not granted, Kacchan only growing more hostile and volatile, and Izuku wishes for any friend at all when he reaches ten years old. It’s the ‘big one-oh’, as his mom called it. Double digits must mean something to the universe, right?

It means nothing.

At eleven, Izuku wishes that he can help someone, anyone at all. He no longer begs the stars to let him be a hero like All Might, instead setting his sights on being a hero at all .

Nobody believes in him. His mother apologizes yet again. It stings, but so do Kacchan’s neverending explosions on his skin, so Izuku remains silent through it all.

At twelve, Izuku wishes for someone to be his hero. Then he feels selfish, because he’s useless, Quirkless Deku and he doesn’t deserve a hero- surely, others have it so much worse than him, he should stop being such a baby- and so he changes his wish. Izuku wishes that he can be a hero for at least one person, even without a Quirk. He promises the stars that he’ll be content then, that he’ll move on from his dreams so long as he changes the life of a single person for the better.

But the stars must know that he’s lying, both to them and to himself, so they deny him yet again.

When Izuku turns thirteen, he falls back into old habits and wishes for a Quirk. He can’t help it, can’t fight the longing in his chest whenever he gets beaten down and jeered at, mocked for his dreams and for things he can’t control. He begs the moon to bless him just this once, pleads and cries into the night because he’s thirteen, and aren’t the teenage years supposed to be good ones?

The moon sets, the sun rises, and Izuku is still Quirkless.

Izuku is fourteen before he knows it, and he struggles to keep on wishing. He spends his birthday completely alone; his mother busy at work, his father long gone, and no one around. It’s summer, at least, so he doesn’t spend his day being hurt.