Hanahaki disease- all might x reader

There were a few rules that went with life. They were simple and moral things.

1. Don’t break the law unless it’s unjust and you really need to
2. Always treat others with kindness and sympathy
3. Water your plants and feed your pets

And then there was probably the most important rule of all:

4. Never EVER fall in love with a superhero

This was a rule you happened to break without even noticing it.

You had all the good reasons to have this very important rule, especially for the one you fell for. The reasons being: It would probably never work, your whole relationship and private life would be made reluctantly public, your life could potentially be in danger…

You could develop Hanahaki disease like your dumbass went out and did.

You- truly- didn’t even know you were in love until you coughed up the first petal. You were completely oblivious until you stared at the bright and infuriatingly cheerful yellow sunflower petal that laid in your sweaty palm.

You had Hanahaki Disease, and you had it for probably the worst person you could think of for a disease like this.

Yagi Toshinori. Or, as many others called him, the Symbol Of Peace, All Might.

You had developed a mutual friendship with Toshinori back in America. Then, when he told you he was leaving for Japan and offered you to come with him and help find his successor, you took the bait and accepted his offer. That’s probably when the disease started.

Toshi… Toshi, Toshi, Toshi. An incredibly famous man who had earned his title. A man who was swarmed with infatuated fans on the daily and seemed to be severely lacking in self-care and self-confidence. How could he even think about loving you if he couldn’t find the time or energy to love himself? Telling him about your situation seemed… Bad. You would probably only make things awkward and get in the way of his hero work.

But you weren’t stupid. This disease could kill you. And when you had coughed up a fit of petals- several, that time- in front of All Might’s teen successor, of all people, you knew you had to do something. 37 petals out of your lungs were 37 too many.

You hated having Midoriya fret over you and keep such a fatal secret from his idol- and it’s not like the kid didn’t have enough secrets to keep already. So you promised both him and yourself that you would tell Toshi. And then you’d act from there on what to do next.

You were blunt in personality, but that doesn’t mean you didn’t have your fair share of doubt and anxiety. You liked to say things upfront and clearly, but with this? You needed time. You just need more time… to figure out what you’re going to say.

It’s what you keep telling yourself, but you know that you’re just being a coward. A weak, diseased coward who was so afraid of their own feelings. You didn’t want to be in love…! You didn’t want it! So why was this happening?

“Ah! You brought dinner! Thank you!”

You hadn’t even noticed you were at Toshi’s doorstep with plastic bags in your hands until he opened the door and smiled so brightly at you. His scrawny but true form showing, something you always thought was endearing and kind of handsome in its own way, even though he thought differently.

His hair… wild and bright, like a sunflower.

Your stomach lurches at the thought, but you ignore the pain as you smile back. “I hope you’re okay if I eat fast food.” You step inside his house, heading toward the kitchen counter and placing the bags down. “I got stuff you can eat, of course, and I picked up more tea since I saw you were almost out. But I hope my greasy burger doesn’t make you jealous.”