Chapter 90

I held my breath as it was announced of Harry's turn. Harry emerged in the stadium and it looked like the dead had walked out instead of my adorable little brother. The Horntail, stood at the other end of the enclosure, crouched low over her clutch of eggs, her wings half-furled, her evil, yellow eyes, a monstrous, scaly, black lizard, thrashing her spiked tail, leaving yard-long gouge marks in the hard ground. The crowd was going crazy making noises.

Harry seemed like observing his surroundings before he raised his wand and shouted, "Accio Firebolt!"

It was just like we had planned, use his strength, use Firebolt. The Firebolt came hurtling towards him from around the edge of the woods, soaring into the enclosure, and stopping dead in midair beside him, waiting for him to mount. The crowd was making even more noise. Bagman was shouting something. Harry swung his leg over the broom and kicked off from the ground. After flying few meters above the ground, he dived. The Horntail's head followed him; Harry pulled out of the dive just in time; a jet of fire had been released exactly where he would have been had he not swerved away.

"Oh, bloody Merlin! I am too young to die of heart attack!" I muttered. Beside me, my friends were cheering loudly. Yes, cheer for someone's funereal.

"Great Scott, he can fly!" yelled Bagman as the crowd shrieked and gasped. "Are you watching this, Mr. Krum?" Harry then soared higher in a circle; the Horntail was still following him; its head revolving on its long neck. Harry plummeted just as the Horntail opened its mouth, but this time he was less lucky — he missed the flames, but the tail came whipping up to meet him instead, and as he swerved to the left, one of the long spikes grazed his shoulder, ripping his robes.

"Harry!" I shouted and stood up from my seat and leaning over the stand's fence. I feel like I should jump in and fight the bloody dragon myself. Save my brother. So what if it can lead to disqualification (which will be good) or expulsion from school. Who cares about school. I should just go and save Harry.

"You're not going anywhere!" A hand dragged me back forcefully as if reading my mind and made me sit on their lap then wrapped their arms around my middle, caging me.

"Let me go, Weasley! Can't you see what that dragon did! Its going to kill my brother and it will be completely legal because it states so in the tournament rules!"

"Nuh-uh! We are gonna sit here and watch him pick that egg up!" I didn't reply but instead started wiggling when he suddenly kissed the nape of my neck. I froze at once. I would be lying if I said I didn't shiver at that unexpected touch.

"Now, be a good girl. Sit still. We don't want another dragon waking up because of another Potter." He whispered in my ear.

I looked back at him and frowned, "Huh? Another dragon?" Fred just gave me closed lip smile and shook his head, My frown deepened but instead of pestering him I brought my attention back to my silly little brother.

Harry was zooming around the Horntail now. Then he began to fly, first this way, then the other, not near enough to make her breathe fire to stave him off, but still posing a sufficient threat to ensure she kept her eyes on him. Her head swayed this way and that, watching him out of those vertical pupils, her fangs bared. Now, he flew higher. The Horntail's head rose with him, her neck now stretched to its fullest extent, still swaying, like a snake before its charmer. Harry rose a few more feet, and she let out a roar of exasperation. He was like a fly to her, a fly she was longing to swat; her tail thrashed again, but he was too high to reach now. She shot fire into the air, which he dodged. Good boy. The Horntail's jaws opened wide and then she reared, spreading her great, black, leathery wings at last, as wide as those of a small airplane and at that moment Harry dived. Harry was speeding toward the ground, towards the eggs, now unprotected by Horntail's clawed front legs. He had taken his hands off his Firebolt, he had seized the golden egg — And with a huge spurt of speed, he was off, he was soaring out over the stands, the heavy egg safely under his uninjured arm. As soon as I realized he was safe, a fell back and let out a relieved sigh.