Nightmare - George Russell

It has been a few days since you have last seen your boyfriend George Russell. He is a driver in Formula 1, which means he isn't home a lot. If it's a raceweek, he's only home Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday he's leaving for a race. Right now it's Saturday on a raceweek. He left Wednesday in the afternoon to fly to Spain for the race at circuit de Barcelona-catalunya. Raceweek is always busy, but somehow this one has been more busy. Normally you would call during the day when he had time and in the evenings. But in the last three days, you had only spoken to him twice. And you missed him. You were now watching the qualification. George was really doing well in q1. He ended on p13, which was really good for him. In q2 he didn't start right away. You were anxiously waiting from him to drive, but almost at the end, he started to drive.

You sighed with a little disappointment. You wanted him to do better and you know how much he wanted to go to q3. You texted George that he did well and that he should give you a call as soon as he had time.

The day passed on and you just waited for George to call you. You had some dinner, took a bath and then got ready for bed. It was already 11:30pm and you still hadn't heard from George. You decided to go to bed and call George in the morning to wish him good luck.

You were sitting on the couch, looking at the race. You hadn't talked to George all day. You send him a message to wish him good luck, but you didn't get a reply back.

Suddenly, Aleix called you.

'What up, Aleix?' you said. It wasn't weird that he called you. He did it a lot of times, to keep you updated what was happening on the track or even when they were training or when he needed to know something and George didn't have the answer to that.

'George seemed off today. Have you spoken to him?'

'No. I haven't spoken to him since Wednesday. What has been going on there?' You looked at the tv screen and saw how George overtook Vettel, but Vettel decided last minute to defend his spot, which sent George going over the grass.

'Oh my god,' I mumbled as I saw what happened next.

'Y/N, are you there?' you heard Aleix say in the distance.

You looked at the screen in shock. This couldn't be happening, not right now, not ever. This can't be real.

'Y/N!'

'How...' you mumbled, while you felt the tears fall down your cheek. You heard a voice, but you had no idea what they were saying. All you could do was stare at the screen and look at how George his car crashed into the wall.

You woke up covered in sweat. Your breath was heavy as you searched for your phone. You had no idea what time it was and you didn't care. You had to talk to George. You quickly dialed his number and anxiously waited for him to pick up. It took a minute, but then he finally answered the phone.

'Y/N, are you okay?'

'Thank god,' you sighed in relief and tried to slow down your breathing, but it wasn't going any slower.

'Are you okay? What is going on?'

'I just needed to know you were okay.'

'Why? What happened?' You heard worry in his voice. 'Hold up, let's switch to FaceTime.' You changed to FaceTime and put on the little light next to your bed so George could see you.

'What happened?' he asked you again. You sat against the headboard and pulled your knees up to your chest.

'I had a nightmare, it's no big deal, but I just wanted to make sure that you were okay.'

'I'm okay. I'm always going to be okay,' he assured you.

'Busy weekend?' you asked to change the subject.

'Yeah, but that's not important. Want to tell me about the nightmare?'

You sighed. 'It's the usual. You know it. But it felt different. We haven't spoken since Wednesday and I don't know...'

'I know and I'm sorry. We have changed so much on the car and have been working on that. I know it's not an excuse.'

'I know and I understand it, I just miss you.'

'I miss you too. Next week you're coming with me, okay.'

You nodded. You laid down again and laid on your side. It almost looked like George was laying next to you.

'I love you. Good luck tomorrow,' you said to him.

'I love you too, babe. I'll call you after the race okay?'

'Talk to you tomorrow.' You blew a kiss to George, waved and then hung up. He was going to be okay.