10~ Guilt

Your conscience will always prick you************************************

************************************

Sewa listened to her mother as she spoke. She wanted to do all she was told, to think of herself first and put herself first but she was that selfless when it came to her family and selfish when it came to herself.

"You have put your sisters first for a very long time, it is time you put yourself first, it is time you focus on your life. You deprived yourself for a very long time." Her mother cried out.

Sewa took in a deep breath before she spoke, "If depriving myself from happiness gives you all happiness then I am happy. If I start thinking of myself, how would Ololade be able to live like a wealthy man's daughter in the USA? Mother Anuoluwapo is going to graduate soon from the university of Port Harcourt, if I put myself first, who would pay for her? Who would pay for Lolade's remaining school fees?"

Sewa stood up from her seat, pacing round, "Do you think just anyone can send their siblings or children abroad to study? Do you think it's easy to afford accommodation in a foreign land when you are broke? Do you think so?!" She asked exasperatedly.

"Not anyone mother and this thing I do, brings massive money for us, if today you are rich and you stop doing what you did that made you rich, do you think you will be rich forever? There is a difference between being rich and wealthy and from the last time I checked, I am not wealthy and every money I have now would finish once I stop doing what I do!" She exclaimed.

Sewa's mother shook her head, she was disappointed. Maybe Sewa made some strong points about the money aspect but there was nothing God could not do. She felt as if Sewa was hiding something for her not to think positive but believe prostitution was the only way out.

"I am disappointed!" Her mother spat out.

"Well I am not disappointed in myself!' Sewa retorted.

"The moment I stop Fu..." Sewa trailed, she realised she was about to say vulgar words in front of her mother. "I do what I do because I deem it fit for the benefit of this family. I'm sorry mother!" Her voice croaked when she said the last part.

"Let's not forget, no job I do considering I'm not a graduate would fetch me good money for the upkeep of this family, you must remember even hundred thousand naira ain't much money these days!" Sewa spat out.

She was tired of hearing the same words from her mother. This wasn't the first time her mother told her about this but she couldn't stop it for reasons they knew not of. 

She had put herself in a complicated situation and the moment she tries to back out, she's going to risk her life and her family. "Mofadesewa!" Her mother called but Sewa didn't stop, she walked out of her mother into her room.

Once she got into her room, she fell to the floor and wept. She wondered how things got messy for her.

Three weeks later