how to love | william vangeance x reader

Author's Note:

This one was inspired by my trust issues and love-less love life.

Enjoy!

[insert an image i was too lazy to find]

They say that eyes are windows to the soul, but windows can be foggy. Windows can be obscured by curtains. Windows can be boarded up...but the question is why? You don't like the view? Hate the sunlight? Afraid someone might break in and sweep you off your feet? Or maybe it's just overcast. Perhaps these things can explain why you can't look out your window.

Who the hell decided that "Love" was a beautiful thing? This was a question you always asked yourself. This question prompted you to distance yourself from those who've made you feel butterflies.

But can you avoid it this time?

Your Point of View:

Today sucks ass and so do I. Why do I have to be this way? It's overdramatic, pathetic, and a waste of my time. As a matter of fact, he's a waste of my time too. Just his stupidly perfect smile is enough to make me feel guilty for liking him in the first place. He belongs to a girl who'll actually deserve to see it. That girl will never be me.

Someone taps on my bedroom door.

"(Y/n), it's William," he greeted. "Are you in there?"

"Yeah...come in."

My captain entered the room, shutting the door behind him. Drowning in a sea of sheets and pillows, I lay in bed, watching him make his way to my bedside. I sunk further into the mattress, hoping he wouldn't see that I'd been crying. Unfortunately, he's always been very perceptive.

"Why were you crying?" he asked, seemingly concerned.

Giving up, I shrugged. "Just had a bad day."

That was only a fraction of why I balled my eyes out. Still, I'm not trying to give him a sob story. That'll only make him think I'm annoying.

"Tell me about it," he insisted, taking a seat on the edge of the cloud-like surface,

I'm quick to shake my head. "I appreciate the concern, but I'll get over it. I'm okay."

Not buying my weak charade, he scoots closer with a more determined look in his eyes. "I know you're not okay. What's bothering you?"

My mouth opened to say something but ran dry in an instant. What am I to say? He won't be leaving anytime soon, so I guess I can ask him a question I've been asking myself for the longest.

"Captain, can I ask you something?" I cautiously requested.

He nods, so I continue. "Um...well, I just wanted to know if you- you know how to love somebody. How do you let go of the walls you built around yourself? How do you know when you've found someone to be vulnerable with? How do you convince them you mean them no harm? How do you convince yourself they love you, even after they've tried to assure you time and time again? How the hell does love work? Why do people fall for the trap? Why can't I let someone love me?! Why can't I let myself love them too?!" I cried, finally venting my thoughts in almost one breath.

To be honest, I don't know what's taken over me. It wasn't like me to spill the truth to someone other than my goldfish.

William ponders in the silence that lingered. Before long, he has his answer.

"I wish I could tell you," he smiles weakly. "But it's not something that is easily explained. It's a gut feeling you just can't shake. It's not fear or caution. It's something that will meet you halfway no matter where you are."

"...But where do I find it?" I muttered.

"I can't tell you that," he sighed. "But I hope you can find it nearby. It might be closer than you think."

"I hope so..."

The room fell silent and I found myself studying his partially hidden features. I've seen him without his mask and I still think he's a gem. It was by accident, so I never got the chance to tell him there's no reason to hide. He shouldn't be ashamed.

"Do you mind me asking you a question as well?" he suddenly says, turning to me with curiosity.

"G-Go ahead," I prompted.

He leaned a little closer and said, "What if I said love found you first? Would you believe me?"

I'm taken aback by his puzzling question, I quickly respond with doubt. "No...I just don't have anyone in my life that thinks of me that way."

"Then it's about time you figured out..." he murmured.

"Figured out what?"

"How to love."

I stare blankly at the smiling man, before realizing what he'd meant.

We must've been thinking the same thing...because we both closed the gap between us, without a moment to spare. Like the idiot I am, I smiled only seconds into the kiss, but he just pulled me closer, seemingly enjoying how I can't keep my cool.

But how could I?

...I just found love.

The End.

Author's Note:

Cheesy: Yes
Regret: No
Hotel: Trivago

Word Count: 852