worth the wait | deity!langris vaude x deity!reader

Author's Note:

Originally, I was going to post this one for Halloween, but I didn't finish it in time. That's why the beginning is dark and the ending is more lighthearted. 😊

Enjoy!

I left my door locked shut tonight, afraid that he told the truth

I left my door locked shut tonight, afraid that he told the truth. Before getting in bed, I turned on my nightlight and said a prayer. I snuggled into my lucky blanket, feeling like a child again. To drown out the silence, I left the window open just a little bit so I could hear the owls humming in a nearby tree. I could finally drift to sleep once my routine was complete.

You wonder where my paranoia stems from? Well, maybe you've heard of a being named "Cupid". He is the god of love and beauty...and he's actually a friend of mine. His real name is Finral, but mortals call him Cupid. As for me, I'm the goddess of (topic of your choice). This being the case, you'd assume I'm safe from harm. No, I'm afraid not. Cupid- or Finral, has a younger brother. Mortals know him as Anteros, but I call him by his true name: Langris.

Langris is the god of requited love. He's been a thorn in my back for many many years. Tonight, however, I can feel that thorn cutting deeper than ever. Tonight's the night he returns to the immortal realm and seeks his revenge on me...just like he promised.

You see, he's the avenger of unrequited love. I failed to return his affections the year before he left this realm. Angered by this one-sided love of ours, he vowed to return someday and avenge his feelings. That was two hundred years ago...

I wonder if he still remembers me.

Narrator's Point of View:

A blinding light raced through the night sky. It traveled for many miles before landing near the shore with thunderous impact.

Appearing from thin air, Finral walks to this light, dreading what's to transpire very soon. The light dims down to reveal the brother who'd spent much of his time away from home.

"Welcome back, Langris," Finral grinned cordially.

Langris, on the other hand, stared coldly at the sand beneath his feet. His gaze was focused on those sparkling grains as if a piece of gold caught his eye.

Finral sighed and walked closer. "Hey, aren't you gonna say something? It's been forever."

"Right," Langris curtly responded. "Forever."

Observing his oddly cold persona, Finral dares to mention the possible cause of this.

"Is vengeance on your mind or am I just imagining things?" he said.

Langris finally faced his brother with a lost daze. His eyes were pointing straight ahead, but his mind was elsewhere.

"She has two choices, Finral," he spoke. "I hope she's wiser than she was two hundred years ago."

"You know, I've come to realize that our ideas of love are completely different. You've always been sort of greedy when it came to affection," Finral sighed. "If she rejects you again, remember that you have no right to punish her for that. Love is-"

"Love is what I feel for her! I do what I do out of love for her! Hit her with your arrow! Strike her in the heart with the desire to love me! If you really cared about me, you'd do it!" Langris urged in a fit of sudden rage.

"Listen to yourself! You've gone insane over her!" Finral countered. "And no, don't blame this on love! Love can't get you out of every situation."

Rather than fueling the argument, Langris took flight in the blink of an eye. He traveled at the speed of light, still feeling raw anger pulsing through him. Every night he spent in the mortal realm, his desire for the goddess only grew stronger. With that desire, came his incredible ability to track her down in minutes. As a god, he can pinpoint her own divine energy, and like a magnet, he'll be drawn to her.

Before long, he's at her door, quietly drifting by. Knowing (Y/n) all too well, he sneaks to her window. The owls that once resided on a tree nearby had suddenly flown away. Silence engulfed his surroundings.

Like a cool breeze on a hot day, a voice spoke through the silence, being music to his ears.

"Who's there?" says the goddess he assumed had been fast asleep.

"It's me," he said with little to no clarity. "I'm back."

Despite this, (Y/n) knew exactly what he meant. Her fears were turning into reality at this very moment. He came back, just as he said he would. Chills ran down her spine at the sound of his voice. A sense of dread lingered in the air.

"Won't you let me in?" He says.

Knowing there'd be no stopping him, (Y/n) carefully gets out of bed and opens the window wider for Langris to enter. His eyes meet her own and her heart sinks. Langris, on the other hand, felt relieved. He was finally face to face with the love of his life once more.

Unfortunately, he had a task at hand.

"If you're going to curse me, just do it already," (Y/n) winced.

Langris raises his hand, but instead of attacking, he reaches for her own hand. Trembling in fear, the goddess still accepts the gesture, placing her hand in his palm.

Delicately, he holds her hand. Unbeknownst to him, she felt strangely at peace. He was a monster from afar, but the closer he crept, the more empathy she could see in his eyes. He's just terribly confused with the meaning of love.

"(Y/n)..." he breathed. "Forgive me for what I'm about to do next."

Bracing for the worst, the goddess shut her eyes. Once again, the reality was better than her expectations. Now, she stood hand in hand, lips locked, and absolutely awestruck with the god of requited love. It was almost as if he'd give anything to not go through with his vengeance. He wanted her more than his title as the avenger of unrequited love.

Langris, feeling like he'd put the goddess through enough, pulls away, already missing the taste of her lips. When he does this, (Y/n) just brings him back in for a more passionate embrace. For a moment, he thought that maybe Finral had hit her with his arrow...but his brother was nowhere to be found. She was acting completely on her own will.

"I- um...y-you should probably get going," (Y/n) stammers, clearly flustered from what just transpired.

Langris nods, rendered utterly speechless. Their hands part from one another as the love-struck god drifts off. The goddess shyly waves goodbye before drawing her curtains to a close.

All the while, Langris is smiling to himself, thinking...

'Love isn't always on time...but it's worth the wait.'

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading! I love you guys.

Word Count: 1157