Chapter 121

"So what's the deal with Benji and Linda? I thought they broke up ages ago." James mentions, distractedly measuring two teaspoons of vanilla extract for our cookies.

I hop to sit up on the kitchen counter beside him. "They did, but they're dating again. They break up for the littlest of inconveniences, that's all. Honestly their relationship is so hard to keep up with, I've stopped trying to understand them."

James furrows his eyebrows. "That doesn't bother you?"

"It bothers me plenty, you know how I want to fix everyone's problems." I sigh, "But it's Benny's business, not mine. He loves Linda, and if this is what works for him, there really isn't anything I can do."

"You should offer to be their therapist." He laughs. "Here, mix this." He pushes the bowl of dry ingredients towards me.

"I really should, I'd make a bloody good one." I smile, picking up the spoon and mixing the ingredients together.

"Oh, I've been meaning to ask!" He snaps his fingers. "Is your family cross with Sirius for calling them out the way he did on Christmas?"

I shake my head, "Mum was more embarrassed than anything else. And you know Dad, he can't take confrontation and fighting. But he was glad someone finally did what he couldn't."

"Like father like daughter. Gotta love Daddy Holland." He snorts.

"Please never call him Daddy Holland again." I laugh, "Sirius has completely butchered that word for me."

"Don't tell me you call Sirius 'Daddy'?" James wiggles his eyebrows suggestively.

"No, I don't!" I feel my face heating up. "He just ruined it the day we were talking about connotations, you remember? And he said 'forgive me Father for I have sinned' would be switched to 'sorry Daddy, I've been naughty'."

James bursts into obnoxious laughter. "I forgot about that! Sirius is a bloody king, I swear."

As if prompted, a shirtless Sirius comes shuffling into the Potter's kitchen. He looks so adorable right now, with his puffy lips, heavy eyelids, and tousled hair.

I perk up at the sight of him. "Good morning, sleepyhead!"

"Or should we say afternoon!" James snickers.

"What happened in here?" Sirius asks in his gravelly morning voice.

"We're baking!" James and I cheer together.

Sirius gives the room an amused once-over. The usually pristine Potter kitchen is now covered in flour and batter. "My loves, you do know that the ingredients are meant to go inside the bowls, right?"

"Oh, har har." I roll my eyes, though my smile remains unwavering.

James picks up a butter knife and points it threateningly at Sirius. "Keeks is on her lady week. She has cravings that need to be met, mate. So either grab a spoon and help, or sit down and shut up."

Sirius just sends James a wink and comes sauntering over to where I'm sitting on the counter. He maneuvers himself between my legs and affectionately rubs his nose against mine. "Mm, you smell like vanilla."