chapter 7

"Let me get this straight...all of you are busy?" I cross my arms over my chest, staring them all down suspiciously.

Sirius interjects with a raised finger, "On the contrary, love! I've got a free schedule."

"Fantastic!" I clap my hands together. "It's a rather nice day out. I suggest we start there." I point at the window currently emitting sunlight into the boy's dormitory. The sky is a clear blue, not a cloud in sight, and a thin sheet of snow blankets the grounds.

Sirius shuffles over to their shared bathroom and yells, "Oi, James! What are you so busy with that you can't join?" He's been strangely secretive about it all morning. The only person seemingly in the loop being Peter, oddly enough.

"Er – just off to the library....thought about doing some light reading." He facepalms at the sound of his own words.

Something I've noticed about James is that when it comes down to lying to his mates, he is a terrible liar.

"Light reading?" I snort.

Sirius struts back into the room, wiggling his eyebrows at James with a cheeky grin splitting his face. "So stalking Evans again then."

"Should've known." I say, causing Peter to chuckle from beside James.

"C'mon, Pete!" James tugs the boy by the back of his shirt upon hearing Lily's voice from the common room. "We'll see you two later!" They wave at us before dashing out the room. And just like that, Sirius and I are left alone. We waste no time in beginning to dress ourselves up for the cold weather.

Sirius shoots me a glare when I come skipping down the stairs wearing only a scarf and jumper in addition to my oversized t-shirt and jeans. He scolds me about dressing warmly and orders me back up to my dorm to layer up.

"Awe, but Siriuuss.." I drag out his name the way I would when begging my mum to buy me something.

"No."

I stomp back upstairs, each footstep loud enough for him to clearly hear. Fine, he wants layers. Then I'll give him layers.

I put on every single piece of clothing that I own. I recognize that this is very childish behaviour, but hey, I am a child.

I hop down the steps once more and smile, innocence dripping from my features. "You're unbelievable!" Sirius says frustratedly, though I can hear the slight hint of amusement in his voice.

"What? I only did as you asked." I bat my eyelashes, holding my hands behind my back.

"Cut the innocent act! I know what you're doing!" Sirius smirks, leaning against the back of a couch.

"Alright alright!" I put my hands up in mock surrender, laughing. "It was only a joke, grandpa!" I almost miss the sound of Sirius emitting his own laugh behind me as I rush up to change for the third and final time.

"Let's go now! Time waits for no man!" I sing.

I playfully smack Sirius' butt on impulse to get him to leave quicker.

What? It was there.

"Holland! I am scandalized!" Sirius jokes, placing a hand over his heart. I laugh carelessly and slap him again, this time across his back.

When we get outside, the cool winter breeze greets me kindly. The air is cold and fresh and I take the opportunity to breathe it in deeply.

I twirl around, dancing in circles with my myself for a bit. Dizziness creeps up on me, leaving me to fall on my back with a lighthearted chuckle.