chapter 76

"Black, I suggest you get back up there. The game needs to go on." McGonagall says.

"To hell with the game! I don't care about some stupid Quidditch match! I'm not going anywhere. She's my –" He cuts himself off, eyes darting around as he racks his brain before settling on a firm, "I'm staying with her."

McGonagall's eyes soften in understanding. "Very well. Follow Madam Pomfrey to the hospital wing. Everyone out of my way!"

*

I'm conscious but I can't will myself to open my eyes just yet. The pain is very much prevalent but I feel a lot better with my eyes closed for the time being.

"Keeks is strong. She's going to be okay." Peter offers as words of comfort for the other boys. "Madam Pomfrey said so herself."

It's silent for a long moment afterwards before James stammers, "D-Did you hear her scream?" His voice sounds strained, like he's been crying.

Sirius laughs humourlessly. "I think the whole school heard that scream."

"I know it isn't very Gryffindor of me to admit this, but I was so scared." Remus says softly.

"Me too." The others chorus.

I can't let them be sad about this any longer so I flutter my eyes open though the harsh lighting of the room makes me squeeze them closed again. "Keeks!" James immediately rushes to my side and holds my hand between both of his. "You're finally awake." He looks down at me through tired eyes and brushes the pad of his thumbs across the top of my bruised hand.

"What happened?" I rasp out as my eyes start adjusting to the light.

"Evan Rosier hit you with a Bludger." Remus tells me with the strongest hint of detestation. "I could kill him."

"Don't do that." I sigh. "It's what he's meant to do."

"Yeah, well Minnie wants him expelled for what he did to you." James goes on. "'Course he won't be, but she's furious. Some think she just takes Quidditch that seriously but we know it's because she cares for you. You were knocked off your broom and no one was able to to stop you before you hit the ground. Poppy says you're lucky though...with how high up you fell you and how tiny you are, you shouldn't have survived the fall."

I process the information slower than usual before bursting into a fit of hysterical laughter. I don't even know why I'm laughing, it's just a reflex. I have to stop however when the pain intensifies. And judging by the worried looks being exchanged, the boys all think I've gone mad.

"It's too bad I hadn't died. We could've put the fun back in funeral." I muse.

"That's not funny." James says, looking away from me uncomfortably.

"I'm just trying to diffuse the tension." I shrug but wince in pain as I do. "Everything hurts."

"I'd imagine breaking your collarbone, both legs and ribs would hurt like hell." Sirius finally says. "Not to mention your massive concussion and internal bleeding – nothing that can't be fixed."

"Oh sure," I laugh. "When can I leave?"

"Not for a few days." Remus informs, making me groan in dismay.