chapter 13

It's been two days since the day at the platform. Mum's been distant, as expected. But quite surprisingly, Dad's started putting a lot more effort into our relationship. He's started asking me about my new friends and what I've learned at Hogwarts. Now normally he'd be one to stay in his own lane and let me live my own life. He's never really been interested in speaking with me. I like that he's making an effort now though.

"Dad, you remember how I told you about my mate James?" I ask as we eat breakfast together. I catch Mum raising a questioning eyebrow at me from the corner of my eye but she says nothing.

"Of course, sweetheart." Dad smiles lopsidedly at me, taking a sip of his mug filled with coffee. "Quidditch boy!"

"Yes, that's the one!" I confirm with a smile of my own. "Could I maybe invite him over for the day?" I asks, giving him my signature pout that I know is difficult to resist.

He eyes me and before he could break under the look, he mumbles a soft, "Ask your mother."

I refocus the pout on mum and make sure to widen my eyes innocently. "Mum?" I ask in my most charming tone of voice. Once again, her eyes soften as she gazes at me.

A small smile slips onto her lips. A genuine smile directed at me. My heart swells in my chest but I don't allow the look to falter. "Alright!" She sighs, still smiling. Suddenly Dad is smiling, too, and so am I. I squeal in my seat and thank her profusely. She allows a small laugh to escape her lips before turning back to the Daily Prophet.

As much as Mum can make me feel like a failure, I can't help but crave her attention, as well as her approval. Maybe Everliah is right and she is coming around. "Mum?" I ask causing her blue eyes to lift from the paper again.

"Yes, dear?" Dear. Dear! She called me dear! Okay, I'm officially pathetic.

"I-I love you." I mumble. "I know Gryffindor is not exactly what you wanted for me and I'm sorry. I promise I won't cause trouble when grandpa comes to visit. I'll stay quiet and I'll even wear Ravenclaw colours."

I hate when people are mad at me. Call me weak but I can't handle it. I need to be liked. I suppose that's a bad quality to have, I mean no one can be liked by everyone. But that won't stop me from trying.

Any trace of a cold exterior melts away and her eyes fill with a familiar warmth that I've missed oh so much. "Oh honey, you know I love you too. It was all a big surprise is all. I'm sorry if I made you feel like you were anything less than what you are. I should've been proud of you instead of letting my own prejudices get the better of me. And I'm the one that should be saying sorry. I'm so sorry."

"Apology accepted!" I announce, running around the table to envelop her in a bone-crushing hug. She laughs a genuine laugh and hugs me back.

"Now, this James. Is he your boyfriend?" Mum asks with a playful smile.

"No!" I say a little too loudly with wide eyes. "We're just friends! I'm...twelve for Merlin's sake!"

"But you fancy him, don't you? I mean, with the way you were talking about all of those boys, I had a hard time telling which one you liked most! But now I'm sure it's Mr Quidditch." Dad says.

"Oh sweet Merlin no." I sigh pinching the bridge of my nose in annoyance.

*