chapter 108

Fabian, Gideon and I sit outside under a large tree just taking in the summer breeze and winding down from our second day back at school. I rest my head down on Gideon's legs and Fabian rests his on mine. I mindlessly wave my hand over the grass around us magically blooming pretty flowers.

The Marauders come running over to us after some time. As soon as I spot Sirius, I grin and pick the rose from my little garden and hand it over to him. "Thank you, love!" He leans down to give me a kiss when the twins make noises of disgust. I giggle and he whispers, "Later."

Remus stares at me impatiently and says, "Dumbledore wants to talk to you in his office. He also mentioned that he likes toffee eclairs..."

I raise an eyebrow. "What's this about?"

"He didn't say." James shrugs.

"Alrighty then. I best be off. See you boys later." I ruffle the twins red hair and begin walking away with James, Sirius, Remus and Peter hot on my trail. "Are you boys following me?" I muse.

Sirius throws an arm around my shoulders and presses a kiss to my cheek.

"Yes, we wanna hear what old Dumbles has to say." James says. "I've brought the cloak."

"Dumbledore will know we're there. He always does." Remus says.

"How about if we just all walk in together?" I mention casually. "I can just tell him that whatever he has to say I'm okay with you lot hearing."

"Sounds good." Sirius agrees.

When we reach the entrance. I mutter a quiet, "Toffee eclair." before climbing up the steps and walking into his office.

Dumbledore doesn't seem at all fazed with how I haven't come alone. "I see you've brought some friends along with you." He smiles amusedly.

"This isn't bad news, is it, Professor?" I ask, suddenly feeling anxious about what this could all be about.

"No, not at all." I release a breath of relief. "Professor Slughorn has simply informed me about the whole Liquid Luck situation." Ah, that's what this is about. "He assumed you'd have some questions. As did he."

"I do." I admit while the boys watch us with interest. Dumbledore waits on me expectantly. "What...erm...how..?"

He gets up and regally walks over to me, looking into my eyes with a knowing smile. "I've written to your parents to confirm my suspicions."

"Suspicions, sir?"

"See, the first time you arrived in my office I had an inkling about you. This only confirms it. When your mother was just pregnant with you, she drank Felix Felicis. Unknowing to her, the magic from the potion stayed with you all these years. Magic is a fickle thing, Ms Holland. Have you ever wondered why potions don't seem to have an affect on you?"

"Yes." I nod slowly, taking his words in.

"It seems as though you inducing such a strong potion when you were so young has made your body react differently to such magical substances. To put it simply, you're immune. And, as you've recently come to realize, some of your features have also been tainted by the potion."

"And the luck?" I ask curiously. "Have I got any of that?"

He smiles again. "There really isn't a direct way for me to know the extent of your luck, but there is one thing I do know for certain."

"And what's that?"

"Your tears hold the power of Felix Felicis."

"Wicked!" Sirius and James exclaim in unison.

After bombarding Dumbledore with about a thousand other questions, the boys and I finally leave with our mouths hanging open and our hearts beating wildly in our chests. Never did I expect such an answer to come from my bizarre situation.

"This is mad." I admit, being the first to speak since we left his office.

"This is bloody brilliant!" James exclaims. He seems to be the only one of us who isn't surprised but rather excited about the whole thing.

"Not what I was expecting to be said when we decided to accompany you in there." Remus confesses with a chuckle.

"Me either." Peter says.

Lily, Marlene and Alice come bounding towards us with bright smiles but those smiles falter when they catch sight of the bewildered looks on all of our faces. "What's up with you?" Lily prods, glancing between all of us.

The boys and I exchange glances before I begin explaining it all to them. In all this madness, I can't help but wonder why I'm only finding out about this now and how much I could do with my newfound gift.