chapter 38

Duke Jones, the human golden retriever himself, has turned out to be perfect company. He doesn't always have much to say but when he does, you can guarantee it's worth listening to. Meanwhile, I like to spew nonsense about whatever pops into my head. We make quite the pairing.

I'll be seeing him again for dinner tonight. I invited him to sit at the Gryffindor table with the rest of my friends, to which he respectfully declined claiming he didn't want attention drawn to him. Luckily I've solved that issue by deciding to sit at the Hufflepuff table along with Lily. Lily is so sweet to him and he seems to be most comfortable around the two of us out of everyone I've introduced. James and Sirius make him nervous which is why Lily comes in handy. She isn't afraid to tell the two to bugger off.

Transfiguration is thankfully almost over. I couldn't tell you a word of what Minnie's gone on about this entire lesson. I've been too focused on drawing daisies in the corner of my page. It's only when I hear my name that I really pay attention, "Holland, would you stay behind after class?"

I hold up both of my thumbs. "Sure thing, Minnie!" She rolls her eyes at the nickname but says nothing.

Once class is over, I remain seated as I wait on the crowd of students to drain from the room. James, Sirius, Remus and Peter linger behind too. Upon noticing this, McGonagall sighs, "Boys, need I remind you that class is over."

"We're well aware, Minnie." Sirius grins.

"If one of us stays behind we all stay behind. See, we are one." James gestures around us.

"Is that alright with you, Holland?" McGonagall asks me.

"Of course! Anything you have to say in front of me, you can say in front of them." I smile easily.

"Very well. Headmaster Dumbledore has instructed me to tell you that Zonko has requested a meeting with you."

"For what?"

"He didn't specify, but I have an inkling that it may be about a job." She discloses with the faintest smile.

"Oh Merlin!" I cheer, jumping up and down. "This is exciting! Thanks for the heads up! Love you, Minnie!" I blow her a kiss and I can tell she's trying not to smile. I walk out with the boys not far behind.

"Chiara! This is huge." Sirius exclaims, holding onto my arm as we walk.

"Yeah! A job at Zonko's! Imagine how much fun you'd have." James claps me on the back. "And the money is only a bonus!"

"I'm so excited for you!" Peter says.

"You're going to get it for sure, no question about that! I wonder how he found out about you." Remus says, smiling for me as well. I've got the best friends.

"It's a mystery! But hey, how about we celebrate with a prank after detention?"

"I'm in." James and Sirius reply in perfect unison.

I separate from the boys to meet Mr Filch for my daily afternoon detention. I plop down in the seat in front of his desk and raise my hand. "Mr Filch?"

He rolls his eyes. "Holland."

"Am I going to get paid this time?" I ask the ongoing question.

"Listen here." He starts. I lean closer to him. "No."

I slump my shoulders and lean back again. "Next time?" I force a hopeful smile.

"Clean every table on the second and third floor. Get going." I nod and rush away quickly, eager to get it done before dinner starts.