chapter 8

Two weeks after the spell for our first prank has been cast on all the food, the students and faculty of Hogwarts finally begin sprouting long, multicoloured beards.

James, Sirius, Remus, Peter and I all ate dinner that day with everyone else. We even managed to enchant the food that the professors ate.

Sitting in the Great Hall, Remus counted down to the second on his watch. "And in...five, four, three, two, one!"

Suddenly, chaos ensues. I excitedly glance around the room while screams erupt from every table in panic.

I feel my skin tickling and then a long white beard sprouts right out of my chin. I chuckle loudly, stroking my newly grown beard. "Hey, I'm Dumbledore!" I giggle.

I look up at the boys and laugh even harder at the sight. "I'm Dumbledore too!" Sirius announces, sporting an identical white beard.

Remus is stuck in an endless series of hysterics after taking one look at his own red beard. I hear Lily's voice from somewhere beside me and turn my head to check hers out. She's grown out a lovely green beard. Surprisingly, she isn't mad about it, rather amused at Marlene and Alice's purple beards, and Dorcas' yellow one.

The sound of James laughing causes me to face him next. "I bet I look absolutely dashing with mine." His beard is a jet black, matching his unruly hair. "Oi! Evans!" He struts away to make his move on Lily once again. The boy is absolutely relentless.

From the corner of my eye, I catch a vague image of Peter tripping over his orange beard and falling flat on his face. Poor clumsy Peter.

I shift my gaze towards the professors at the front of the room. I spot Professor McGonagall giggling with Professor Sprout about their matching blue beards. The unexpected duo point and laugh at one another, both entertained by our stunt.

Dumbledore carries his usual lengthy beard, only now it's enchanted a brilliant pink. His bright blues twinkle while he takes in the scene. His eyes catch on mine and he winks at me with a smile, raising his goblet in my direction and taking a sip. I grin back at the man in amusement, grateful to have such a laid-back headmaster.

Needless to say, the prank was a success, and it got even better once students attempted to shave their beards. For, as soon as they tried, it grew back longer and more vibrant.

*

"Why are you packing by hand, Lils?" I question my red-headed friend with a frown. "You have a wand you know." I remind, twirling my wand in front of her as she neatly folds her clothing and gently places it in her trunk.

"This is the way I've always done it. This way I know exactly where everything is. And by taking my time I get to spend some more time here with you." She says sweetly.

I feel my heart welling up in my chest, "Awe, Lily. You so like me."

Lily rolls her emerald eyes playfully before her expression morphs into one of concern. "Oh! I've been meaning to talk to you about something." She stops her packing and walks over to sit on my bed beside me.

"What's the matter?" I ask, my own face contorting in worry.

She hesitates, wringing her hands together in her lap. "It's about your friends." Something about the way she says the word friends puts me off.