chapter 97

The day of Sirius and my first date finally arrives. It's Saturday morning and I'm a royal disaster. "Lily!" I holler, panicking. "I've got nothing to wear!" Clothes of all different sorts and colours are littering our floor as I continue tossing article after article out of my trunk frantically.

I then stand in the middle of the room staring down at all my clothes with a death glare. "You can borrow something of mine." Lily reassures easily. "How about that yellow and white sundress you've always liked? I bet you'd look beautiful in it."

"It's winter, Lils. I'm not so sure a sundress is the way to go." Alice reminds her, giving my current outfit consisting of a mismatched pair of tie-dye pyjama shorts and green tank top an amused once-over.

Dorcas begins rummaging through the piles of clothes on the floor, concentrating on finding whatever it is she's searching for. Once she does, she smiles proudly at a blue knitted sweater and shows it off to us. "What if we paired this oversized jumper with a short black skirt and nylons underneath so you won't freeze?"

"And then to top it all off, you've got those gorgeous light brown booties!" Marlene grins at me, pointing to the boots across the room.

They're good. It's pretty, comfy and not too much for a date to Hogsmeade. I breathe out the puff of air I hadn't realized I'd been holding in this whole time and smile gratefully at my friends. "I don't know what I'd do without you girls."

Lily senses my nerves and giggles softly, "You do know this is Sirius, right? The same Sirius who worships the literal ground you walk on. You've got this."

I smile at the mention of his name and nod. "I just want today to go well. It isn't just Sirius anymore. The boy that I like asked me out, Lils!"

"I'm well aware, lovely!" She giggles.

"And it will go well! If you put these clothes on and get a move on, missy!" Marlene smiles pointedly.

I snatch up the group effort outfit and take it to the bathroom to change. After doing so, I walk out and sit on the bed as Alice tends to my hair and Lily my makeup. I'm not one for makeup on regular days but today will be an exception. Nothing too extravagant, just a "natural look" as Lily calls it. Which for her basically means a bit of mascara, blush and some red-tinted lip gloss. Alice does my hair up in two tight dutch braids and, just because she's Alice, laces many small blue daisies all over them.

"You're all done!" Lily says, handing me a hand mirror to take a look at her work. I look much prettier than before, it's odd how the simplest of things can make the biggest differences.

"Oh, Chiara! You look gorgeous." Dorcas gushes.

"Do a spin for us!" Marlene demands causing the rest of us to laugh as I obey and gracefully spin around.

Meanwhile up in the boys dormitories, Sirius admires his appearance in the full-body mirror. He's dressed handsomely in a white t-shirt that clings to his body, dark washed jeans, and his black leather jacket. His hair is combed out and styled in his usual perfect do. He turns around to find James, Remus and Peter all beaming at him. "What?" He asks with a laugh.

James gets up and claps him on the back. "This is a big moment, Sirius. If all goes well, you could be calling the girl you've fancied for years your girlfriend. Mess it up and you can bet we'll all murder you."

"No pressure, though." Remus muses.

Sirius' smile remains unwavering. "I'm not worried. It isn't as if we're strangers to each other, I've known her for just about five years. I'd never mess up something as important as this, lads."