chapter 12

Lily Evans is nothing if not efficient. Everyday, for our entire first year, she hasn't failed to wake me up with a smash to the face using her pillow. She claims it to be "the only way to get me up", though I secretly think she finds it gratifying.

She is, as I like to call her, our dorm's mum friend. She's the one that makes sure we're all up and ready for breakfast by eight o'clock—eight thirty if she's feeling generous. She is the one to nag us about completing our school work on time. And, she is the one to tuck us to bed when it gets to be too late. Sometimes she quite literally tucks me into bed, too.

Today is the day we're to return home for summer break. Two months of freedom. If I could even call it that. I'm actually dreading going home, under the circumstances.

My day starts as it usually does, with a smash to the face.

I will never get used to this, it's a surprise every morning. Unfortunately, today is no different. As soon as the pillow meets my face, I jump up screaming bloody murder. "Merlin's silly blue underpants!" My heart is speeding in my chest and I glance around, afraid. "Lily!" I holler grumpily when my eyes find her.

Lily giggles softly with her hand over her lips. "Don't murder me! I'm only waking you up so you can get some food into your system and catch the train home on time." She smiles at me warmly. "I know I've already asked but you're sure you've packed everything, right?"

Lily has this sunny radiation about her. She's a naturally warm person and she can make you feel safe with the simplest gesture. And no, I'm not talking about her flaming hair. I'm referring to her bright smile. When she smiles at me, it makes me believe that everything will be okay. It puts my mind at ease.

I can't help the growing smile on my face upon getting a glimpse of hers. "Yes I'm sure. Thanks, Lils. You're going to make a great mum someday."

"Yes of course I will!" She rolls her emerald eyes playfully, her smile still apparent. "Will you be dining with the girls or the boys this morning?" She asks. There isn't a hint of distaste in the question which fills me with delight. It's taken her a while to get used to the idea of me having to divide my attention between two friend groups but I think she's finally come around.

Don't get me wrong, she doesn't like any of the boys. Setting Remus aside, of course. Remus is the only exception. Remus Lupin is respectful and probably the kindest boy alive. He is soft and gentle and he reminds me of a teddy bear. I seem to be getting a tad off base again, aren't I? What I mean to say is that Remus isn't included in Lily's repugnance for the boys.

"The girls!" I announce, stomping my foot dramatically. "But first I think I'll pay the boys a quick visit. Save me a seat?"

"You betcha!" She grins, tossing a piece of her bright red hair behind her shoulder before skipping down the steps.

My trunk is far too heavy for my tiny self to lift down the steps, so I do what any sane person would in my situation. I push my trunk down the stairs. Once the deed is done, I dust the invisible dirt off my hands with a proud smirk.

I hop down the steps and upon entering the common room, I spot James mumbling angrily to himself and reluctantly passing Sirius a handful of coins.

"What did I miss?" I ask crossing my arms over my chest, amusement evident in my voice.

Sirius lifts his head and grins proudly. "Jamie and I made a bet, my darling Holland. I bet that you would come down in pyjamas as you normally do. Fool Potter here bet you would change into the robes. He really doesn't know you, does he now?"

"Yeah, whatever." James grumbles, kicking the air childishly.

"I am floored!" I exclaim dramatically. "James middle name Potter, do you not know me at all?" I pout at him, shoving my bottom lip out in his direction.