chapter 87

James Potter is the epitome of clingy. This is both a blessing to my deterrence towards being alone, and a curse when I can't take him someplace. "James," I groan for what feels like the millionth time this morning. "I can't bring you. End of discussion."

It is in fact, not the end of the discussion.

"Why the hell not?" James wails dramatically. "Fabian and Gideon adore me! I'm a riot!"

"I can't just show up to Molly and Arthur's place with some random boy! That's so rude of me. I'm trying to make a good first impression here and I'll be damned if they don't love me after today!"

The bespectacled boy huffs in defeat and slumps back against the wall. "Fine." He tries to give me the silent treatment but I know he won't last long. I know my best friend well enough to know he can't be quiet for long.

While he sulks, I pick out an outfit for the afternoon. I hold a mini floral green sundress up against my body and bite my lip as I evaluate my decision. "JJ, what do you think of this?" I flip around to show him my dress but he just shrugs in response. Time to use the puppy dog pout on him. "Please?" I widen my eyes and push out my bottom lip.

"It's unfair because you know I can't resist that." That's all he says before he walks over to my closet and starts flipping past clothes. "I like you better in the purple one with the thin straps. You look especially pretty in it."

He hands me the same sundress only in purple. "Thank you." I grin happily and squeeze his rosy cheek.

He pushes my hand away from his face and deflates again into a pile on my bottom bunk. "What am I meant to do today then?"

I drape my dress over my desk's chair and jump on top of James on the bed. "Spend the day with Benjamin. Or ask Everliah if she could take you to work with her."

His glasses slide down his nose as he thinks it over. He quickly pushes them back up and nods his head excitedly. "Yeah, okay! Maybe I could spend the day with Benja and both of us could go to work with Evy."

"That sounds like a nice way to spend the day." I encourage happily.

He smiles. "Alright, I feel better. But what time will you be home?"

"Uh...I dunno really. I have to be at Duke's house in about an hour, and then we're going together from there." I tell him.

"I'll leave to let you dress yourself then." James says, respectfully exiting the room and gently shutting the door behind him.

I change into the summery dress and smile in appreciation at the fact that this sundress has pockets. The moment I saw it in-store, I fell in love and had to get one in every colour. The style reminds me of something Lily would wear, and I just know she's going to borrow them all the time when we get back to Hogwarts.

I clip back the front pieces of my hair, put on some lipgloss, and slip into a pair of white Converse trainers.

I spend my spare minutes with James before Everliah takes him and Benji to Diagon Alley with her.

"Buddy! I'm ready to go!" I call out for my family's house-elf. The little creature appears with a pop and smiles up at me through big blue eyes.