chapter 28

"Lils, my most beautiful friend, what did you put down for number seven?" I send her a flirtatious smile and flutter my long lashes.

Lily rolls her eyes but smiles back nonetheless, tucking a strand of her bright red hair behind her ear. "You won't learn anything if I just keep giving you the answers." She mumbles back, her complete attention turned toward her own assignment.

"I don't go to school to learn, Lilian." I pat her on the head patronizingly. "I'm here to meet strangers and shape bonds with as many weirdos as I can." I nudge Violet in the arm and she bursts into giggles.

"I'm choosing to ignore the fact that you just called Violet and I weirdos...the answer is moondew drops." Lily states uninterestedly and I happily jot it down.

I wiggle my quill up to her face and tickle her small nose. "Now what colour should the Wiggenweld Potion be?"

"What colour are my eyes?" Lily retorts.

"Thank you." I grin, scribbling down the last of my Potions assignment. "And...done!" I slam my textbook shut and lean back against the wooden chair. "Welp, I believe we've put in enough effort for one day, eh Vio? Let's rally!" I gesture dramatically with my index finger in the air and Violet immediately begins packing away her books.

"Hold it!" Lily scolds us. "You two aren't going anywhere until I finish this too!"

I smirk as the perfect opportunity to tease her arises. "Well it isn't our fault that you don't know the answers." Lily raises a dangerous brow and glares harshly at me. Violet and I share a nervous look and I swallow. "Maybe we should...sit." I say, sitting back down beside Lily at the table, Violet doing the same.

"Wise choice." Lily smirks and continues on with her writing.

"Wanna know what helps me sleep?" I ask Violet bluntly.

"No," She says plainly, leaning her head against the palm of her hand and piercing those blue eyes into mine. "but I get the feeling that you're about to tell me anyway."

"I start thinking of everything I have to stress about. Then, I think of the time I have to sleep now and worry later. That puts me at ease to fall into a gentle slumber. See, I thrive on procrastination and pretending like I don't have any problems!" I explain.

"You are mad." Violet mutters under her breath and whispers to Lily, "She's barking." Lily nods in agreement.

"The best people are." I wink at the blonde and redhead as they gaze at me in bewilderment.

*

I lay back comfortably on Sirius' bed, admiring the view outside the window when the boys dormitory door comes slamming open and in shoots a very out of breath Peter Pettigrew. His wishy-washy blue eyes dart around the room until they land on me and blow wider.

"Keeks!" Peter pants, doubling over for a moment to catch up with the oxygen entering his lungs. "Did you hear that Elsie Harris and Mathew Wheeler broke up?"

"WHAT?!" I squeal, lifting myself onto my elbows and patting the empty space on the bed. "Tell me everything, spare no details!" Pete rushes over and sits cross-legged in front of me.

"Apparently Harris was caught snogging some Ravenclaw in a broom closet! I saw the whole breakup, it was so messy! It happened in the Great Hall so almost everyone saw. He was throwing things and screaming and she was crying and begging him to take her back." Peter says in excitement.

"No way! I wish I'd been there. They made such a sweet couple too. I thought they'd be together forever!" I admit.

"I didn't. I knew something seemed off with them. Didn't I tell you?"

"Ooh, it's true! You so called this one!" I raise my palm up and Peter meets it in a high five, both of us grinning wildly on the gossip rush. I place my hands down on the mattress, "Now, did you hear about how Filch tried to ask McGonagall out and she hexed him?"

"No!" Peter gasps. "Did that happen?"

"Dunno, it's what Fabian told me." I shrug.

"Wicked! I can definitely picture McGonagall doing something like that, so it's probably true. What about how Robert Wood got his first detention ever because he got into a fight with the Slytherin Quidditch captain about which team was better?"

"Pete!" I exclaim clutching onto his shoulders amidst my elation. "Now that's some spicy gossip! You should've opened with that. I can't imagine Wood ever being angry."

"Uh...guys?" A soft voice interrupts us. Together, Peter and I turn our attention to the other side of the dormitories to find Remus sitting on his bed with a bewildered expression. "What the bloody hell did I just witness?"

I giggle behind my hand. "Oh, Remus! I forgot you were here. See, Peter and I get together by-weekly to spill about whatever goes on in the school. We're very involved as you can probably tell."

Remus takes a moment to digest this new information before smirking and bounding over to sit on the bed with us. "In that case, did you hear about Laura Burton using an enlargement spell on her rear?!"