Chapter 90

I survey the already cheering crowd of students surrounding the pitch in search of the one face I've been missing in Quidditch practices since he graduated.

Squinting in the early morning sunlight, I finally spot my target chatting up a group of seventh years. I fly my broom up to the stands and stop directly in front of him. His glance distractedly switches to me and a wide smile takes up his face.

"You're here!" I exclaim cheerfully.

I offer the surrounding seventh years kind waves to which they return before dispersing to give me and Robert Wood some space. The older boy's entire face is lit up as he looks back at me. "I promised I'd come, didn't I?"

I lean my elbows on the the railing between us, balancing on my broom in the air as we talk. "So, I heard through the grapevine that you've secured yourself a job at the Ministry of Magic."

"Yes, I did!" He nods his head fervently, eyes wide and excited. "I work in the Department of Magical Games and Sports."

I smile brightly, "Why that's perfect for you!"

"I thought so." He chuckles.

"And how are things in your social life, Cap? How's the lovely girlfriend – Eleanor, wasn't it? I do hope she's well." I ask, hoping they're still together.

"Actually, make that fiancée now, and yes that's her." His cheeks and ears tinge pink. "Ellie's pregnant, too. I know it may seem a little soon, but I love her and I'm honestly excited to be a dad."

"Wow! Congratulations on the engagement – and the pregnancy! That's so much good news in such a short amount of time." I exclaim, succeeding in bringing an even bigger smile to his handsome face. "I have zero doubts the little one will turn out to be a Quidditch protégée."

He snorts indignantly, "Watch me end up with the one kid that hates Quidditch with a burning passion."

I shake my head, laughing. "I don't think so. I have a good feeling about it, this one's going to be a star."

"Mm, is that right?" He raises an eyebrow, amusing my words.

"It is actually, yeah." I smirk.

"So," He claps his hands together and peers over the railing with interest. "Who's the lucky team captain that you're giving hell for me?"

I don't answer, and instead turn my attention towards where James Potter stands on the field.

"I don't care if you broke your finger, Susan, you will catch the Snitch with your other hand!"

"Take a wild guess." I giggle.

Robert smiles down at my bespectacled best friend. "Well I'll be damned." He returns his gaze to my own, "McGonagall sure knows what she's doing. Potter is who I'd have picked."

I nod proudly. "He's been taking the job very seriously."

"It looks like he's put together a strong group." He smiles at me sadly, "It's funny, I used to make such a fuss about having to wake up each morning for school...but I miss it."

"If it makes you feel any better all you've really missed is a silly prank me and the boys pulled."

"You know, it really doesn't." He laughs. "Anyways, thank you for talking to Professor Dumbledore for me. You seem to get through to people better than anyone."

"No one can resist my charms." I wink at him.

"CHIARA! OI! LOVE! GET THE HELL DOWN HERE SO YOU CAN TALK SOME SENSE INTO JAMES! HE JUST TOLD ME TO AIM TO KILL!" Sirius hollers up at me.

I wave my hand at him dismissively and turn back to my ex-captain. We exchange amused looks. "Of course, James is also coming on a bit strong. I think the power's gone to his head. That was my cue to go. I've clearly got to do a bit of damage control."

"Right, I won't keep you. Play good, okay?"

"Always!" I flash him one last smile before whooshing down towards a distressed James.

I gracefully hop to the ground and prance over to stand beside James. I gently slip my hand into his and feel him relax at my touch. "Keeks, I think I'm about to pass out."

"Deep breaths, Jamie." I say, and he does as he's told. "I trust you. The team trusts you. You've put together an excellent group, we've practiced enough, we will win this!"

And we do. We win the match by a long shot against the unsuspecting Ravenclaws.

James picks me up and spins me around the moment our feet touch ground. His face shows it all, he is absolutely over the moon about his first ever win as captain.

Our team forms a crowd around James to congratulate him.

An overwhelming sense of pride washes over me and an idea quickly forms in my devious mind.

Once the pitch has cleared, as everyone's gone off to either celebrate their win or drown their loss in food and drinks, I sneak into the game supplies closet to steal the Golden Snitch that won us the match.

I figure it'll make a meaningful gift for James someday.