chapter 10

I feel a pushing feeling against my shoulders. Someone's gripping me and shaking me roughly. Sleep escapes my grasp and I focus in on the sounds around me. I make out the voice of Remus cheerily yelling, "It's Christmas, Chiara! Wake up!" I open my eyes only slightly, forming two slits, to find my four best friends hovering around me with excited grins.

"How the bloody hell did you four get in here?" I mumble, my voice raspy from the deep sleep I was just in. I prop myself up in my bed and rub at my droopy tired eyes. The boys mouths all quirk upwards into mischievous smirks at my question. Sirius shrugs with a prideful look on his face. "We have our ways." He chuckles, reaching out his hand to twirl a piece of my unkept hair between his fingers.

Before Remus' words from earlier could register in my head, I groan and shove my head under my pillow. The only thought in my head being sleep. Though before anything else could be said, I jump up, my pillow flying across the room. A huge smile finds my face and I exclaim, "Oh sweet Merlin! It's Christmas!" I shove my comforter off my legs, grabbing Sirius by the front of his shirt and tug him towards the exit to the common room, the other boys following close behind.

Rushing down the stairs from the girls dormitory, I breathe out a happy sigh at the sight of the common room decorated in elaborate Christmas decor. Christmas has always will be my favourite holiday – mainly because of the presents, but the joy the holiday brings also plays a large role in my love for it. Under the large tree in the centre of the room are presents of every colour.

I'm not sure how early in the morning it is but, seeing as no one else is here, I gather it's either extremely early or extremely late. "Can I start passing out my presents for you all? Oh please, can I?" I say with so much cheer loudly.

"Sure!" James laughs at my bright spirit and Remus eyes me with just as much amusement.

Finding a neat pile of four perfectly wrapped gifts, I pick the top one off the stack and hand it to Peter. It's a big box cleverly, in my opinion anyway, shaped like a large candy. Peter excitedly takes it from my hands and rips the shiny red paper off without care. He lifts the flaps and peaks his head inside the box. His eyes sparkle with delight as he takes in he sight of hundreds of sweets just begging to be eaten. "Merlin, Chiara! There's so much here, it must've cost a fortune! Thank you so much, really!" His chubby cheeks widen in a toothy smile.

Without a second thought, the boy throws himself at me, wrapping his arms around my shoulders and squeezing tightly. In complete surprise I don't return the hug right away, though after a few seconds I hug him back squeezing just as tight. I bask at the fact that the boy in my arms has grown comfortable enough around me to actually hug me, let alone have a normal conversation around me.

When he finally pulls back I notice a dark blush covering his freckled cheeks. "S-Sorry." He mutters bashfully avoiding my eyes.

"Don't ever apologize for hugging me, silly! It was nice." I boop his nose playfully which only causes his cheeks to turn a shade redder. I switch my gaze onto Remus seeing as his gift is now the top of the pile. "Are you ready for your present, Rem?"

He nods his head eagerly as I pull out a tall box covered in shiny blue wrapping paper and gingerly pass it to him. He slowly tears the decorative paper off and reaches inside to find a stack of books piled high almost up to the height of myself.

"They're Muggle books!" I explain excitedly before he could get a word in. "I remember you telling me you were curious about muggles stories, so naturally I went out and bought the lot. Though, I couldn't exactly go out and buy them on my own! Nor could I ask my parents..." seeing as they aren't currently speaking with me. "Luckily my beautiful best friend, Lily Evans," I send a wink in James' direction. "offered to get her parents to help me out in getting them. Oh they're such kind people! Didn't even hesitate to help! Muggles are so cute. Anyways that's how I managed to procure them just for you, Remy my boy!"