chapter 80

I haven't spent Christmas Day with my own family since second year's Christmas disaster. Thankfully, my second family have taken me in and it's become a tradition for me to spend the twenty-fifth of December with the Potters.

I tiptoe down the ladder from my top bunk and hover over Elliot's sleeping figure with a large Cheshire grin. I grab his arm and start viciously shaking him until his eyes pry open. He groans sleepily, "What the hell, Chiara?"

"Merry Christmas, Elli!"

He glances down at his wristwatch and groans again, "It's four in the morning."

"I know," I smile.

"It is four in the morning!" He repeats only louder.

"That number only sounds more appealing to me the more you repeat it, El. Don't you want to open presents?"

"Yes, but sleep!" He stuffs his head under the pillow. "It's the most important meal of the day."

"Actually you've mixed things up there, cousin. You're talking about breakfast. Which comes right after gift giving!"

"You are an insane person." He states plainly.

"Stating the obvious." I guffaw.

Elliot peaks out from beneath the pillow, his brown hair all messed up and his eyes tired. "You aren't going to leave me alone until you get your way, are you?"

"Nope."

"Let me just go pee first." He throws his legs over the edge of the bed. I ruffle his hair affectionately and make my way out to wake the rest of the house.

Getting everyone else up proves to be much more difficult than it was with Elliot. Mainly because everyone else has no filter around me, and isn't afraid to show me how they truly feel about my waking them up at this hour.

Once everyone's been woken up, we gather around the tree to open presents. "Of all the times for you to wake up early." Dad yawns. "I swear, next year we're giving you some sort of drug to make you sleep through the night."

"Thomas Holland!" Mum chastises.

"What?" He laughs. "I'm only joking!"

"Good one, Dad." I laugh too.

We spend some time opening presents until the floor is covered in decorative paper and ribbon, and the boxes have emptied.

Wandering upstairs, I change into a festive jumper and a pair of jeans. Elliot knocks on my door and I call him in once I've dressed. "Tell me something. Why don't you stay here for Christmas?" He asks me curiously, leaning against the door with crossed arms.

"Grandfather doesn't like me. Actually, sorry no, he hates me." I reply bluntly.

"Tsk tsk," He clicks his tongue. "Oh yes. The typical Ravenclaw controversy. Who gives a crap what school house you're in? Grandfather is just a miserable old man. My mom would be so mad at me for talking about her father this way but it's the truth. It isn't fair that he makes you feel so unwelcome that you can't even spend Christmas with your own family anymore."

I crack a smile, "Thanks, Elli. But it's okay." He doesn't look convinced. "It really it is. I don't mind too much because James and his family are my family now too."

"So, you and James seem close." He wiggles his eyebrows. "Are you two...you know..."

I scrunch my nose up in distaste. "No."

"Oh. Well, it's just that –"

"No."

"But –"