Clarity

Some of you may or may not recall this small,  mostly plastic device that almost every office and home had before the age of smart device's and the internet dominated the world. Usually it was circular in shape and spun around went given a push. Index cards with names, addresses and numbers were clipped snuggly in. Most referred to it as a rolladex. It was alphabetically organized so you just flipped through until you found the name of the person you was looking for.

My father still relies on his and it still sits on his desk. As a child when board I'd spin it around and for some reason the sound of the index card's flipping by soothed me. If only I could spin it right now. However my mind felt like a rolladex right now. My thoughts were flipping by quicker than I could process them. There's been so many thing's to happen in just a short amount of time. I couldn't even confide in Jensy about what all had transpired. She forbid me to make contact with Duel and I did it anyway. The last thing I need is her berating me right now.

The following day after Zoe approached me I decided I needed a day to myself just to try and make sense of it all. Taking a day off of work I headed to one of the tallest buildings in the city. I can't explain it but being up high in the open air with a widespread view of the city always offered me clarity. I walked around the viewing deck aimlessly lost in my woes. What does this all mean now? Will Zoe let me be? Is Duel no longer hunting me? Am I safe?

The only sure answer I could come up with is that I'm serious about no longer running. This game is over. As far as I'm concerned the file on that era of my life is sealed. I'll admit though, I'm kinda proud of myself. Yes, when I first saw Zoe fear trickled down my spine. I know what and who she is and I understand that she's dangerous but the cruel word's she tossed my way built up and I stood up for myself. Judging by her smug look I'm guessing it surprised her too.

However the image of Duel laughing along with her over my heartfelt word's really did me in. I believe whatever bit of love I had left for him was put out like a flame doused with cold water. Sometimes it takes something harsh to give you the extra push you need to move on and that was it. As of now I'll not watch over my shoulder any longer and what will be will be. In fact I've never felt freer. I only have one other issue to deal with.... Preston.

Yes, I love him. No, it's not the same type of love I had for Duel but it's not supposed to be. It's fresh and healthy, except there's one problem. I fear we rushed into this marriage craziness. We were falling for each other hard but he had to return home. In a heat induced moment he asked me to marry him and I hurriedly agreed. I don't want to call off the engagement, I just think we should push the wedding date back. We need to really get to know each other and grow as a couple before making such a huge dedication to each other. With my mind put at ease I made my way to visit Preston at his job.

Today he was working at the shipyard sending some exports overseas. I smiled when I spotted him overseeing every miniscule detail but that's him, Mr. Perfectionist. Stepping from my car holding a sack of deli food I had picked up, I made my way over to him. "Hey there" . I called.

Preston turned around with a look of irritation. "Chelly, why are you here?" He nearly grunted.

A tad shocked, I took a step back and meekly asked. "Bad timing?"

Preston grinned and pulled me to him. "Of course not. I was just taken off guard. Now what brings you to this filthy place?"

I held up the sack. "Figured we could do lunch. Besides you need a break".

Preston smiled and led me away from his employees to a smaller, empty ship. We sat on at a table above deck and had a great view of the water. After some minor chit chat I bit the bullet and told him my feelings. "Be honest Preston, Do you ever feel like we are rushing into this marriage?"

" of course not". He said squinting his eye's. "What's wrong Chelly? Are you backing out". He said with a hint of anger.

" No, no, not at all Preston. I just think it would be for the best if we moved the date back so we can truly get to know each other"  I explained.

"Sounds like you're backing out". He accused.

" I'm not, I promise. It's just that marriage is serious and I think we both owe it to ourselves to make sure that we are compatible before jumping in. We've only know each other cop's to six month's. We need to give it time. "I tried to make him understand.

In a sudden burst of rage Preston swiped our food off of the table with the back of his hand. "It's best you leave right now Chelly". He roared standing up.

" What? Let's talk this over Preston. I want to be with you but I don't think either of us is truly ready for marriage. I'm not calling off our engagement, just changing the wedding date". I cried.

"Go home Chelley. We will discuss this when I get there. This is hardly the place to have this conversation" . He snorted.

"Please don't be mad Preston. You're taking this the wrong way." I begin but was silenced by his outburst .

"Get outta here. I'll deal with this shit later". He boomed.

Knowing it was probably best to let him be for now I nodded. "Okay. I'll see you later and I love you" .

Instead of acknowledging me he was already walking away with his phone to his ear. That didn't go over well but I should have expected that. As I drove my may way off of the lot something or should I say someone familiar caught my eye. There parked out of view was a sleek, black car. As soon as I seen those piercing eye's i turned my head and continued on. There could only be one reason she was there, she was following me. Blocking it all from my mind, I returned home and begin to prepare Preston's favorite meal. I know we can get past this.

Is Chelly being stupid by staying?

What do you think the outcome will be after telling Preston how she felt?

Wonder who Preston called?

Who could have been in that car watching?