Under The Same Sky

"Let go. Let go". I heard Jensey along with the instructor tell at me.

Squinting my eye's shut I took a deep breath and swallowed my fear. Ever so slowly I loosened my grip from the bar that I held onto so smugly. This steel bar that I white knuckled was the only thing between me and the deep sea. As soon as I released it I would fall many feet to plunge into the ocean. It looked so fun while standing on shore but not so much now. Worst part was there was no backing out. I had already zipped down the line now it was up to me to finish it... Or continue to dangle like a grape on the vine.

I had to build my nerve up and push my fear aside and quickly before they call a helicopter to rescue me and how embarrassing would that be. "Okay Shelley you've come to far to stop now. You've faced far scarier thing's and survived. This is a piece of cake. You got this" . I spoke to myself.

In one guttsy move I let go of the bar and felt myself falling from the sky. A shrill scream erupted from my chest but all too soon I felt the water swallow me. It seemed to only last a second. Swimming my way up, my head broke the water and I saw the sky. In the distance a man on a jet ski raced toward me to bring me back to the safety of the shore. Once on shore Jensey ran at me full of excitement. "Girl that was badass".

Finally I smiled and erupted in laughter. I have to admit that it was an adrenalin rush but I'm glad I got to experience it especially since my life has been cut off, stopped dead.  That one night changed my life forever. That moment in time where I had a lapse of judgement and reported him to the police made me a prisoner. I say him because bringing up his name now feels like an Oman. Yes, I felt guilty for turning him in but I no longer do. It wasn't my fault after all. After the way he acted when I spoke to him when he was in prison then the bite he placed upon my collarbone that left me scarred had me scared. Then after learning who he truly was and the death count associated with his family I could only assume I was next on the list. Anyone in my shoes would have called for help as well.

So no, I shouldn't feel guilty. After all he escaped again, wrecked havoc then disappeared to live his life while I was forced into hiding, removed from college, my friend's and life as I knew it. Not only was I basically out on house arrest but my parent's as well. Just them being associated with me was a threat. If I looked out my window there sat a patrol car. There was no going out to eat, shop and there was definitely no going to church for any of us. I had to continue my education online, couldn't reach out to my friend's. It was hell. The only good thing that came out of it was that I received my diploma early. With nothing else to do I had plenty of time to complete school early.

However the night after I celebrated my graduation with just my parent's in our tiny kitchen I knew that I could no longer live like this nor could they. It wasn't fair to them that just my being here put them in danger. The next morning I broke the news to them first. I announced that I would be leaving within a week to live my life. Of course they didn't like that and was worried about me but sitting here locked away isn't any better than being hunted. I explained to them that I couldn't hide forever and that I had to go on with life. Maybe he will eventually find me but maybe not. The point is I can no longer put my life on hold and live in fear. So much has already passed me by. Not finishing school properly with my friend's, opportunities, relationships and fun. No longer... Life was waiting for me and time wasn't slowing down.

Back in my room I gazed at a map of America that had hung on my wall since grade school and thought "where is the one place you always wanted to go if you could?"

Instantly my mind said California. There I would be well away from the east coast not to mention the inviting weather and sea. With my degree in social sciences I'm sure to find work there. At first I'm sure I'll need to tough it out but I will make it. Planning my new life excited me and I wanted to share it with someone other than my parent's whom wasn't really for it. After arguing with myself and making a list of reasons why I shouldn't, I caved and phoned Jensey.

It felt so good to hear her voice and tears wet my eye's. "Holy shit girl. I thought you fell off the earth. Like you went ghost like a pro".

I laughed through my tears. Of course Jensey knew about my run in with him especially since the news blasted it. However she wasn't aware that I was placed in a protection program and wasn't allowed to inform anyone. I then filled her in on my life and my new plan. "Fuck yeah girl. Live your life bitch. Fuck Duel Harper. Let him try something, I'll fuck him up".

In spite of myself I laughed. Leave it to Jensey to make me laugh but it felt good and I needed it. I was sad to hear that Jensey was no longer in college. She claims she dropped out, that college life wasn't for her but if I know Jensey she probably flunked out due to her partying ways. Jensey returned home where she went to a local cosmetology school and now she worked at a local shop banging hair. She seemed so happy and satisfied though so I was happy for her. We chatted for hours that night and I finally caught a glimpse of the girl I use to be but it didn't last long.

After we ended the call I had the urge to pee. As I entered back into my bedroom my curtains floating in the breeze. I stopped in my tracks but then felt silly as I remembered opening my window for some fresh air while yapping with Jensey. Yes, the police warned me not to open windows but I was done living by their rules. I did walk over and shut the window and that's when it hit me hard. I remembered him coming in this window several time's and a cold chill swept over me. I crawled onto my bed and curled up as images of the ashy dust covered my floor... Ashes that I learned was actually my friend's body. Yes... I need to escape this place.

A week later my plane touched down in California and my nerves crawled. Here I was in a strange place all alone. Shaking those thoughts away I stepped from the plane with a new attitude. I could do this. I retrieved my luggage and begin to make my way to the exit when I heard "biiitchhh".

No sooner than I turned a body collided into mine. "I fucking missed you, you whore".

" Jensey". I squealed.

"What? How? What the hell are you doing here?" I screeched as we jumped up and down in a embrace .

"You didn't think I'd let my girl do this alone did you? Me and you are going to be a couple of renagades on the run." . She said.

I laughed through my tears and we eventually made it to the hotel I had reserved until I could find a affordable place. My original plan was to unpack and rest up before started my job search in the morning but Jensy had other plans. She wanted to hit the city and live it up. At first I was hesitant but this is why I refused to stay hidden anymore right? So I could live and experience life.

Within a week we handed landed a cute place about a block from the ocean. Even though it was a bit out of my original price range with our combined income we could swing it especially now since we both landed jobs. Jensey is styling hair at a nearby swank spa and I'm a counselor at a local children's hospital.

Our life pretty much goes as it did in college... We work then have fun. This time I'm not so uptight about it. After being locked in my home as the world passed me by really changed my perspective. I never pass up a good opportunity or challenge. I try new thing's, explore and meet new people. Occasionally he crosses my mind but honestly I'm too busy to really think about it. From night clubs to lounging on the beach and trying daring stunts my life is full. My motto is to live to the fullest and if he does ever find me at least I can say that I did everything I wanted to before I die.

However after living a few month's in California I had the feeling that something was missing. Even though Jensey was here and I had made friend's I felt lonely. I craved male companionship. Nothing serious right now but just a guy to hang with them who knows. Jensey and I was staying in for the night and having a glass of wine on our deck when I popped out and said. "I think I want that white picked fence life after all".

Jensey burst out with laughter. "Girl no. You just need another glass of wine and to take a hit off of this".

I laughed along with her because she was right. The last thing I need is a relationship. I felt bad enough for bringing Jensey into my world of danger possibly putting her at risk. Soon Jensey turned in and I remained out there. Looking up at the starry sky I thought he's out there somewhere under the same sky.

Was it smart for Chelley to leave from protected custody?

Will California be safe for her?

Is Jensey more of a bad influence more than help?

Does Chelley have a point as far as saying she has to live her life?