It Wasn't Suppose To Go Like This

Taking a long moment to look my reflection over in the mirror before stepping out I frowned. The gown was gorgeous but I just wasn't feeling it. I've always dreamed of this moment since I was a little girl. I just knew when I slid the right dress on I'd know it was for me. That special feeling would wash over me and I'd get all mushy but after trying on nine dresses and still haven't felt it. Remember what they say... The dress picks you, you don't pick the dress.

Sucking in my breath, I lifted the hem of the dress in my hand and stepped from the dressing room to face Jensey yet again. "Oh girl, that is the dress there. That's the one".

I remained quiet and I guess Jensey knew my answer by the look on my face. "Damn girl, you've tried on a thousand dresses now. Just pick one already. I'm getting hungry and tired of sitting here. If you don't chose one soon I'll choose it for you".

" Some matron of honor you are". I huffed and returned to the dressing room.

Instead of slipping the dress off I sat on the bench just for a breather. They didn't lie when they said planning a wedding can be stressful. There's so much that has to be done and so many thing's that could go wrong. Not just that though but so many changes have taken place in the last year. True, I was hoping to meet someone and settle down, however I didn't expect to meet my future husband. It all happened so fast as we got caught up in this whirlwind relationship and fell head over heels.

It was just a normal night out on the town with Jensey. We was at our favorite sports bar having a few drinks and meeting up with friends after a long week. I'd been there maybe an hour when this guy caught my eye. I stared off and on for some time hoping not to get caught. It was just something about the way he carried himself that grabbed my attention. He was tall and mysterious, definitely not the usual type that we saw around here. His distressed jeans hung just right along with a solid white t-shirt paired with an open rugged flannel. It was obvious that he had drawn a lot of attention as I watched girl's saddle up next to him only to leave with a look of rejection. Most of the women were gorgeous so there could only be a few reasons why he shot them down. Either he was taken and faithful or maybe he wasn't into female's. I'd never know because I have no intention of introducing myself. Something in his eye's and demeanor reflected danger and I've had my share of that.

As the night wore on I mostly forgot about him and focused on my friend's. When it was my turn to order the next round of drinks I skipped up to the bar not minding where I squeezed in to place my order. As I waited for the bartender to get to me I glanced around taking in the scene. That's when I heard a deep, almost hostile voice say. "Don't bother. The answer is no".

Looking directly to the left side of me I saw him. "Excuse me?" I asked not sure if he was speaking to me.

Without sparing me a glance he sipped his drink and snorted. "You are wasting your time. It's not going to work. I'm not here to hookup so save your breath".

Taken back by his absurdity I spat. "That's a good thing because I'm not interested. I'm sorry that you mistook my coming over here to order rounds for my friend's as a come on when in fact you are far from my type".

I turned my face back to the front as he sat stone still continuing to stare ahead. Suddenly his mouth broke out into a grin. "That's the best thing I've heard all night. It's hard being this good-looking" .

"Hmmmm..." . I offered and grabbed the drinks up. "Enjoy your drink along with your conceit".

Back at my table I brushed that jerk off and enjoyed the remainder of my night. A few nights later I was suppose to meet Jensey back at the same bar, however she sent me a text saying she would be late. I pulled up a stool and placed my drink order as I waited. The place wasn't as nearly as crowded as the weekend so I turned into the football game that was on the t.v.. As I studied the score I heard a teasing voice. "Did you change your mind and come back hoping to find me and ask me out?"

Seeing that it was the mysterious guy from the other night I wrinkled my nose. "How did you guess? Was it my I'm begging to be bothered bitch face or my keeps assholes away perfume?"

To my surprise he laughed and held his hands up. "Okay, I deserved that. I apologize for the other night. I'm in town on business for a few month's and lost a major deal that day and just wanted to drown my sorrows alone. I'm not really that jerk".

Nodding, I spoke. "I get that. We all need our moments" .

He smiled and offered me his hand. "I'm Preston Willsap".

Taking his hand I offered my name to him and it took off from there. We met up every night after work and on our day's off. By the time his work was done here and he was returning to his home in New York we were latched at the hips. The night before he left in a spur of the moment he asked me to marry him and I happily said yes. That's been two month's ago and I along with my bestie Jensey have moved to New York. Once again it wasn't hard to find work. Jensey works at a hip salon and I work for the police now. I help in the abuse and crisis division. Mostly I deal with runways, battered women and prostitutes in hopes of getting them off of the street. Preston owns his own shipping agency. He ships and receives merchandise all over the planet. Judging by his high rise penthouse he makes a pretty good living. We live quite nicely.

My parent's haven't met him yet but they'll be coming up for the wedding. I'm sure our lifestyle will impress them. As for my past I did fill Preston in on that, it was only fair. He didn't judge me nor did he seem afraid that I could possibly be hunted down one day. He is the absolute best and doesn't even mind that Jensey lives with us. Who could ask for better?

Smiling to my reflection I stood up and removed the dress. This is the one.

Thoughts on Preston?

Is Chelly rushing in and making a mistake?

Is there a hidden agenda here?

So now Chelly lives in New York (Harper territory) and works for the police??? I see no problem with that...lol!