In The Shadows

My eye's bore into the cold, steel door that just closed with my heart on the other side walking further away from me. A pain so severe consumed me causing an ache down into my bones. My wounds had been reopened and now were draining the blood from my soul. After setting in this hell for so long I lost all hope of a rescue or escape. I made peace with the fact that my family disowned me and that I'd lost Chelly. Now I just sat here and waited for my death day. In fact I had whished many time's that it would hurry up and take me away from my thoughts and regrets. Then she showed up here and it all changed. I had a reason to survive, a reason to get out of here. However her presence brought on a new pain atop of the old pain that had resurfaced as well and once these two different pains collided it created one hell of a storm inside of me.

My old scars bleed again as I realized what I had lost because I foolishly chose to help Zoe instead of telling the family. Then for Chelly to look me in the eye's and say the thing's she said, calling me her worst mistake and biggest regret stung me deeply. Then when she tossed her new life and love escapades in my face an anger so hot scorched my heart. Chelly is about to learn just who I am. Nothing she read about me in those stack of paper's can even remotely come close to the truth of me.... Only I can do that.

A I sat cuffed to this steel table waiting for the guard's to fetch me I begin to dig my fingers into the steel rings that my cuffs were looped through. Mindless to the pain I was causing my fingers and nails, I unscrewed one of the bolts that was holding the ring in place. Bending my head down I placed the bolt in my mouth and made sure the ring didn't look tampered with.

Not long afterwards I was escorted to my cell. Once the coast was clear I spit the bolt out and begin to rub it vigorously onto the concrete floor. It took hours and by the time I was done my fingertips were bloody but I now had a tiny sharp utensil. Using it, I made a small slit in the side of my mattress and tucked it in for safe keeping. After a good nights sleep, I removed my homemade weapon and awaited the guard who would be escorting me to the shower house. Like clockwork he showed right on time. Cautiously he stepped into my cell and I turned my back to him with my hands out which is the normal routine. Grabbing his cuffs he went to grab my left wrist and with my right hand I swung around and planted my tool into his jugular. Clamping my hand over his mouth to smother his death sounds, I tucked his body beneath my bed for hiding. Swiping his key's, badge and gun, I slipped from the cell.

Thankfully the prison hall's were busy this time of the morning with the general population milling about. It was easy to fit in with them and go unnoticed. I slid in with a group that was heading outdoors for exercise and sunlight. When the sun and fresh air hit me I paused. Never again would I take the outdoors for granted. I casually walked over to a bench and sat down carefully making sure the item's that I had stolen off the guard wouldn't fall from my tie string pants. Not being obvious I scanned the area looking for the best escape route. I had to move quickly before the dead guard was found in my cell. Deciding that my best course of action was to create a diversion, I found the toughest looking click to use.

Approaching them, they glared at me with unspoken threats but I laughed. Not one in the bunch intimidated me. "See that group by the weight benches?" I asked pointing them out.

" Why should we be interested in what you have to say? " the leader of the group spat.

I shrugged. "You don't have to be interested or even listen but I thought you might want to know that they are plotting against you. They are planning an attack and then taking you and passing you around as their bitch". I said indicating that I was speaking of their leader.

And that's all it took. This group begin to approach the other group while I inched my way to the fence. As soon as the first punch was thrown I started to scale the fence. The guard's were now busy trying to separate the two gang's as I scrambled over the barbed wire at the top. I did suffer a few punctures and scratches but refused to worry about it. As soon as my feet hit the other side I took off running. Suddenly a gun shot rang out and I heard a guard shotting. "We got an escapee". Followed by the alarm.