Family Soiree

Hello sweets, Once again thanks for all of the votes and comments!! Love hearing from you all!

Now before you read this chap I'd like to explain something. Normally I try my best not to be too cliche in my writing but this chapter is packed with classic cliche..lol. However I tried to add my spin on it!

The reason I chose traditional cliche moments in this chapter is because I want you to have a glimpse of Duel living a normal life, being a normal young guy without the woes of the mafia life! Hope you enjoy!!

"What?" I nearly shrieked through the phone.

" Did I hear you right? " My shock turned to sarcasm.

"Prom? You want me... Duel Harper to take you to prom? Sorry, not going to happen. I don't do dress up or social functions" . I added with a hint of smart ass in my tone.

"But Dueeelllll" Chelly whined dragging my name out and I knew she was doing her pouty face on the other end.

"It's my senior prom. The only one I'll get".  She tried to reason.

" Don't do that melon. Don't make that face". I groaned.

"What face". She asked innocently.

" You know what face". I said.

"Oh, you mean the my boyfriend is being mean to me and making me sad face?" Chelly said so sweetly.

Before I could respond my phone tinged alerting me of a text. Checking it out I saw a selfie of her giving me that sad puppy dog look with pouty lips. Groaning I said. "Not fair at all. Fine, we are going to prom".

Chelly let out a squeal. "I love you, I love you, I love you. You're the best boyfriend ever Duel Harper."

I smiled at her excitement as she rattled on. "I've got to go dress shopping now and you need a tux. Oh, and we need to make dinner reservations and I need a hair appointment."

" Slow down girl, damn. Get ready, I'll be there soon and I'll take you shopping ".

" Okay. We can go to the department store... "

I cut her off. "No. I'm taking you to the city for a dress and I'm buying. My girl is going to be the prettiest, best dressed female there".

" Awwww... You're too sweet Duely". She cooed using a nickname that she had given me.

Let me just say that since our blowout a few week's back we have really took a big turn in our relationship for the better. I haven't stepped out of line once. Chelly makes me want to be good but just for her. I help her study and keep up her grades now. I've even been trying to talk her into applying for bigger universities instead of settling for the local community college. But it's not all book's and study meetings. We still have fun, get drunk and just be stupid together. I guess you could say our relationship is well balanced. But to me it's more to it. Chelly has let me discover thing's that I didn't know about myself. Never did I think I would ever be living a life like this. I assumed by now that I'd be working by my family in the business and living the mafia code. Never did I think that there would be a day that I didn't think about Zoe or believe that I could only love her. Yes, I still feel something for her but it's not as strong as it was. Now a day's my world is consumed with Chelly. She's my first thought when I wake and my last thought before I fall asleep.

Yes, Zoe still calls me and I'll talk to her for a few minutes but rush off. Chelly isn't aware that I occasionally talk to Zoe and it's better that way. I keep the conversations short and friendly. I no longer flirt or try to convince Zoe to love me back. For the most part I believe that I have found happiness with Chelly and I'm content with that. Being with her is like being normal and free. For once I feel like I can be myself and not worry about killing or be killed. Many time's I think back to my grandparents and recall that this is how they met and in this very town. Could Chelly and I be following in their footsteps?