Baby Boy

My eye's begin to filter open in quick, little flitters. It was kind of like blinking rapidly and I'd only catch vague glimpses of my surroundings. The wall, medical equipment, the IV in my arm, my Pape, white sheets, corner table... Wait... My Pape?

Is the medicine screwing with me or did I really just see my Pape? Taking a deep breath I forced my eye's to open and stop their blinking. The light stung but I didn't relent. I had to know if it was really him and if he was here it couldn't be good. Only two thing's came to mind. One he was here to finish me off while I'm at my weakest or g-mama's body rejected my kidney and She's  gone. If that's the case I'm sure my Pape would blame me. I'm sure he'd say that my evil kidney killed her. I had to know so before I asked anything I asked about her. "G-mama? Is she okay?"

My Pape nodded. "The surgery went well. She's still in Vegas recovering but will return home soon".

" Return home? " I mumbled.

Pape gave his usual smart grin. "Yes, home. You didn't think I'd let you keep this place all to yourself did you? Let me guess.. You did. Well your run is over. I'm back and reclaiming my throne."

Before either of us could say more the doors burst open and my mom flew in wielding her ball bat. "Demarco Harper you step away from my child or I'll smash your fucking soul out through your ears".

" Don't do something you'll regret cupcake". My Pape warned.

"Then I suggest you don't do something that will cause me to kill you Defucko. Now back the fuck up and let me see my baby jackass". My mom hissed.

Pape rolled his eye's and stepped aside while mumbling. "The little shit is fine."

Mom ignored him and rushed to my side. Leaning down she kissed my forehead and hugged me as gently as she could. "I've missed you so much. How are you feeling? Do you hurt? Are you hungry?"

I snickered at her worry even though I ate the attention up. With a grimace of pain I tried to sit up a little. "Don't. Just rest". Mom cautioned.

" I'm good". I assured her.

"Yea, leave the little fucker alone. He said he was fine". Pape said sarcastically.

Mom shot him a warning glare the focused back on me. "G-mama is doing well thanks to you isn't that right Defucko?"

Pape ignored her but she didn't care. She was all about me at this moment. "I want you to know how proud I am of you and what you've accomplished here. I know there are many issues to discuss but that can wait until you heal. Your health is more important than the pissing contest your father wants to have. Isn't that right Defucko? Besides don't you have something to say to Duel for the job well done?"

Pape took a deep breath and grudgingly walked over. "You did okay I guess. I mean for an amateur anyways."

I grinned. "Don't hate. I nearly built back everything that took generations to build". I prided myself.

" Dont be so cocky. I'm back now and the other's will be returning soon so you won't have it all in your shoulders... But yes, you did a good job. There. Happy now that I admited it. " He grinned.

I grinned back. This wasn't going as I had pictured it go. I assumed he would be ready to wage a war but he seemed rather happy. I'm sure once I feel better we will discuss the thing's that got us in this predicament but for now I'll take the nice side of him. "And thanks for stepping in to save g-mama". He added.

I nodded and couldn't wait to see her. Pape was about to leave when a strange look crossed his face. I followed his face down to my hand where he was studying my wedding band. Snatching my hand up for a closer inspection he growled. "The fuck is this shit".

" Yea, about that... I'm married". I said with a hint of amusement.

Mom's eye's buldged. "Chelly? You married Chelly?"

I squinted my eye's at her in confusion. "No. Why would you even think that?"

" Well I just assumed. She's the only girl that ever seemed to settle you down so I figured she must have meant a great deal to you". Mom said.

"Pssh... Yea, right. No, it's not her and no she didn't mean that much to me... Especially to consider marrying her. It's Zoe. I married Zoe". I blurted out.

" Oh". Was all mom said and it didn't sound like an excited oh.

"You what? Are you a fucking retard? Don't answer that, I already know that you are. Why would you do that? This isn't good Duel. Wait. Did you knock her up?" Pape yelled.

" No. Damn get off my dick. I love Zoe. Everyone knows how I felt about her for year's ". I tossed back.

My mom remained mute but Pape continued. "I think you've made a big fucking mistake. Where's this copper boyfriend of hers? He's still in the loose. I hope you watch her every move. Remember she is the reason behind all of us coming down including you. Be smart".

" it's not like that Pape. Zoe didn't intentionally set us up. I tried to help her out of a messy situation and we both got trapped. Fuck, the cop shot her and kept her captive. She'd be dead had she not escaped. Tracking that cop is on the top of my list. Zoe is harmless and she is one of us now... She always has been". I defended her.

My Pape begin to speak again but I cut him off. "Before you even attempt to say I'd better be careful you should watch your mouth. I clearly remember a time when you yourself almost bought the Empire down. Yep Pape, poison ivy spreads like fire."

My mom sneered at him at having Ivy's name brought up and Pape glared at me. "Yes I did son and that's why I'm warning you. Don't learn the hard way like I did".

Before I could reply Zoe walked in. Obviously she wasn't aware that my parent's had arrived and fear etched her face. "Oh". She gasped and scuttled over to me.

"It's fine Zoe. They know the truth and about our marriage. You are safe".

Mom smiled and gave her a hug. "Your parents will be returning soon. I'm sure they will be delighted to know you are safe. They've been worried sick about you. May I ask why you didn't reach out to them to let them know you were okay?"

Zoe teared up. "Shame, fear.. Just everything. I brought this upon us. It's my fault and I assumed everyone would want me dead and my parent's would disown me".

" understandable. But Zoe we all make mistakes and love can be blind. With yours and Duel's help we fixed this and I'm sure you've learned a great deal from this". My mom said.

Zoe nodded. "Yes Mrs. Harper and I'm so sorry".

Mom smiled and turned to my Pape. "Let's get settled back in and let them have some privacy. I've missed my home so bad".

My Pape let my mother out without another word but I knew this was far from over. I'm sure once I'm on my feet again he'll really let me have it.

Do you think Zoe is telling the truth?

Will Demarco let this go or is he waiting for Duel to heal?

Wonder why Sam was surprised to find out that it wasn't Chelley that Duel married?

Does Sam sense more than she's letting on concerning Zoe?

What will the other's think about their marriage when they return?