Chapter 43: Escort

"Riding in a carriage without an escort is modern. But traveling out and about and unescorted is unheard of."

-Jordan Stratford
⚜️

Alexi stayed ten more minutes before his valet came knocking, reminding him about their errands.

"What sort of errands would a prince like yourself do?" Em asked as she walked him out of the door.

Alexi fixed his coat before flashing a smile, "If I tell you, Em you would have to marry me and come back home to Habsburg."

She scoffed, "When will you cease the idea about me being from Habsburg? Surely, I can't be only raven haired girl here in the West."

"Guess until we proved you weren't one to begin with. And yes, there are raven haired people all over the kingdom. But I feel it in my gut, you're one of us."

"Very well, do whatever it is you must do, your majesty." She curtsied and he tipped his hat. Today he wore something that won't stand out, he truly wished to hide his identity.

Once the carriage drove off Carol came up behind her.

"He's gone, Carol. You can stop smiling."

The servant chuckled, "The prince is smitten with you lass."

Her eyes widened, "Carol! Hush, the others probably did not know he is a prince. And no, he is not smitten with me."

Carol was shaking her head, her eyes still laughing. "He is, I can tell. Not to worry, everyone who worked for the Davensport's knew about the relationship between their families. I, myself, have met his father, the King."

"You have?"

She nodded, "But that was a long time ago. Come, we should head out to the market and grab those supplies the mistress asked for."

So much for getting riled up over a morning caller. She silently hoped she would get one but who was she to dream. Alexi may not have said it but she could tell he was merely concerned for her and she appreciated that. It felt good knowing someone cared.
***

Saturday came and with it, the air was filled with excitement and merriment. It was around afternoon when Lucille asked Em to take some respite as she would like to take a nap.

She left her mistress and went down the stables. She had too much energy and did not want to sleep off the rest of the day.

"Pretty warm for a ride lassie." Said one of the grooms. "Ain't ya s'pose to sleep and be prepared for tonight's party?"

Em shook her head, "I am used to staying up late, I'm certain a few dancing won't wear me out."

"If ya say so." He then led her to a stable where her now familiar horse await. "She's been anxious lately, she missed ya and the ride."

"I missed her, too." Em replied, her hands caressing the horse's brown hair. "Such a good girl you are, why don't we head out now, hmm?"

The horse snorted and thumped its hoof. She was ready.

Em climbed up and waved the groom away. She insisted, like many afternoons before, that she would be just fine alone. She knew the wooden path by now and may have discovered a few shortcuts that led to the beach. But she never ventured anywhere further that seemed dark and dangerous. She knew the risks of being alone in the woods and she also knew its hidden treasures if she had company.

Em shook her head and forced to forget the thought. She was remembering again. Those nights spent under the stars while crickets rocked her to sleep. While her head rested on a young man's shoulders as his voice gentle sang her songs. The memory came in too strong and she had to shake her head to stay awake. No, she won't indulge on the past and she won't be affected anymore. She may never forget but she had gone this far and she would go even further with her life, here in Westershire. Her childhood memories about her first love should no longer be a matter. It had been difficult but she believed it would get better.