Chapter Sixteen: Steps taken and another to take

"Delay is the deadliest form of denial."
-C Northcote Parkinson

⚜️
Everything stopped. The noises from the lobby were fading. The wind against the window began to hum slowly. The only sound inside the library were their mouths.

Em had been surprised when Dathan captured her lips. She wanted to push him back and off of her. But the movement of his tongue paralyzed her brain. She couldn't think anymore. He kissed with urgency, drinking and sinking his teeth teasingly. It was as if the moment he let her breathe she would bolt away.

Oh sweet heavens!

Who knew a kiss could be this wonderful?

She heard Dathan groan against her throat. It bowed her back. He had released her wrists so his hands travelled on her face. Her hands found the softness of his hair as she pulled him closer.

They found a rhythm that needed no more words exchanged. They suckled, licked and bit each other. Dathan could tell she had been kissed before but she still lacked experience. He swore to cloud her brain with his own passion so she could forget the last man she kissed.

He slowly moved his hand down her throat and felt her pulse quicken. Em sighed and it sent his blood rushing to his loins. His breeches tightened. Damnation. Who knew she could affect him like this?

Her hand mimicked his movements, she traced his jaw, felt the stubble that grew, then went downward to his front. He had left his shirt partly open so she could touch his hairless chest. She gasped again and he thought he was going to lose control.

He suddenly pulled away and pushed himself into his elbows. Em's eyes opened while she gasped to catch her breath same as to what he was doing. His limbs shook. Dear lord. What was happening to him?

"I'm sorry Em. I did not mean to force myself to you.."

She stiffened but did not respond. It was obvious she was shocked. Well dammit, so was he. He stared down at her amber eyes. How beautiful and delicious she looked. Like a wanton waiting to be devoured. Her lips looked red and was still wet from his kiss.

For several moments they just stared at each other. Voices came through the corridor and Em sat up almost throwing Dathan out balance. But she did not pay him attention, she had righted her clothes and found that they were presentable enough. Surprisingly, that is.

She rose and went for the door when he called her back, "Em, please don't think what we did here was a mistake."

She turned to him but could not find the words to respond so she nodded. The door opened and she showed herself out.

Dathan collapsed into the couch. How was he going to face his mother after this?
******

Lydia had feigned she had been unwell and managed to elude the family for the rest of the day. When Evangeline came to her room and found the chaos she did not respond. She simply picked up the broken glass and other items she'd tossed. Her thoughts had been so muddy that she could not think properly.

Less than two weeks and she'll be marrying Damian. She was to be a Duchess, his wife and mother of his future children. It was such an honour. Many ladies would kill to be on her shoes. She was certainly not one of them. Not anymore. Ever since she found herself in love with her fiancé.

She longed to speak with her mother or some experienced women to tell her about love and marriage. She had been told that most marriages weren't a love match and she had to obey her husband's wishes. Somewhere in her growing years, she had dreamed she will marry for love. She thought it was all fun and romance like the novels she had read. But now that she had experienced what it was to fall in love, she had second thoughts about tying the knot.

What was it that she liked about Damian? True he was handsome, smart and rich. She found him interesting and alluring despite his distant attitude towards her. She realized that the time they spend together made her want to chase the coldness away from him and make him look at her the way other men did. Those moments he had spoken to her and made small talks, she caught herself admiring him. Short as it may be, she had known Damian was a good man. He just did not want her.

Lydia turned on her side and sighed. Things may have been better if she never found out about her. The secret mistress was the reason why Damian would never want her as a woman. If only she had stayed on the ballroom that night instead of following him down that dark corridor. If only she had not heard them profess their love for each other.

If.

A two letter word.

How pathetic it was to believe that it would've changed the state of things. Perhaps she can blame herself. She had been told she was stubborn and difficult. She refused to stay away and stalked Damian and look where it had gotten her.

Evangeline came in during the afternoon. She brought tea and finger sandwiches. Lydia ignored it all. She had no appetite. Her handmaiden remained beside her, she spoke of the activities downstairs. Apparently the preparation for the wedding was being made.

"...the dowager is currently making final adornments for your gown. She has also made the designs for gazebo and the entire decors. I can picture how pretty you'll look Lyd."

But her mistress kept quiet. Evangeline sighed, "Talk to me please. I can't let you stay like this Lyd."

Lydia turned and stared at her friend, she looked worried, "What do you want me to say Vanj? That I'm excited to be married to a man who does not want me?"

She gasped, "What are you talking about? Surely Lord Davensport cares for you!"

Lydia gave a sad laugh, "He cares for his image. It's high time he take a wife and I fit the role. Everything is happening because it is to his advantage. It's all for convenience Vanj."

"Oh, Lyd. You are hurting. I hate to see you like this. I wished I've known sooner." She took her hands and squeezed.

"Fret not Vanj. I will be fine soon, I hope. I was a fool to dream that I could change him. The only reason I am staying is because I have nowhere to go back. Mama and Papa won't take me under their wing, his debts are far to deep and I'll just be a burden."

"You deserve much better Lyd. You have not been happy with your parents, mayhap you can find happiness somewhere else?"

Lydia sat up and stared at her friend, "What are you talking about?"

"If you can't be happy with Lord Davensport then call off the wedding. Do not return to your parents, you have an Aunt, remember how she liked you to live with her in the countryside? I can come with you and we can start all over again."

She did recall her mother's sister, Augusta Friar who had married a wealthy businessman but did not have children. She wanted Lydia to stay with her when her father had been getting debt after debt.

"That sounds a wonderful idea Vanj," Her friend's face brightened, "but that is merely running away. I am so tired of escaping. It is time I face my problems."

"But Lyd.."

Lydia hugged Evangeline, "I appreciate your concern Vanj. And I'm so lucky to have you by my side. But I am not walking away. I will marry Damian and be his wife. I will become the Duchess he wants me to be. But never again will I let him play with my emotions. That I promise you."

"I've always known you were a strong woman Lyd. I'll always be here, alright? Just tell me if he's hurting you again."

She nodded and prayed for strength. Pretty soon they will be wondering why she was hiding up here and not with them down there. She has to make appearances.

"Call for a bath Vanj. I plan to join the family for dinner."

Evangeline smiled, "Now, that's the Lydia I know. A fighter!" She rose and pulled the bells.

"That's right Vanj. I'm a bloody fighter and I intend to stay and fight."