Chapter 63: Barfield

"You will find no answers here, just choices."

-Brent Weeks
⚜️

The towers welcomed Em warmly this time. The servants and even the Countess herself smiled upon her arrival.

"Emelia, child. Right on time. Come." Margeary linked their arms and walked towards the garden.

Gideon and his father were already seated. When they noticed their arrival, both men stood up and bowed.

"Welcome to the towers, Emelia. Come, sit with me." Said the count and pulled out a chair for her.

"Thank you, your grace."

Soon, tea and biscuits were served. Looking at the Hanselworth's, Em's heart was trying not to skip a beat. They all look so happy and content. As if they never had nasty secrets.

"Are you alright, Em? You barely touched your tea." Gideon asked.

"I am fine. Perhaps, a little tired from all the preparations." She tried to smile at him.

"Emelia..I believe it is time." Said the countess.

She stood and pushed her chair back. Together, she and Margeary went inside and so she could change into her dresses. Summoning up her courage, she smiled sweetly at the countess and prayed that she could survive the afternoon.
***

After about almost an hour, Em was relieved of her duties. The count and his son decided on which dress would better suit her for the wedding. While she changed back into her clothes, a familiar voice rang inside the room.

"You, maids, go downstairs and clear the tables."

The three maidservants stopped whatever they were doing and bowed at Em before exiting the room. She was left to struggle and wiggle herself on the last three buttons. Just when she was about to give up, she felt a none so gentle tug behind her.

"I warned you, several times. Why are you still engaged?" Mrs. Garth whispered while her hands expertly button Em's dress. "The preparations are all but complete. You only have but two days before the wedding."

"I know!" She snapped at the woman. "But what did you expect me to do? They are a powerful family and I am naught but a dowager's companion."

"Did you not find anything at all?" Mrs. Garth asked and turned her around. "I went through lengths to get you that name."

"A last name...you gave me a last name!" She pointed out. "How was I supposed to find that person?"

"The duke is your friend, I've been told. And that foreign prince as well. And the dowager has many connections. Use them all if you wish to stop this wedding." Mrs. Garth half yelled at her. "Or are you stalling? Because you think you shall never have a chance as grand as this?"

"The duke has turned me down and the prince is not obliged to help me." There was no way she would reveal everything to this woman, no matter what her reasons were for helping her. "And my mistress had to give me away to save her family's reputation. I am trying my best to break this engagement. Believe me, it is not as easy at it seems."

The old woman scoffed, "Yet here you are. Clad in all finery. Sharing their tea, smiling at their table as you if you are now one of them."

"Mrs. Garth, if you truly wish for a redemption then stop your tattle tale." She groaned inward. "Are you here to lend me a hand or torture me?"

"I will not be found helping you or it will be the end of me. Can you imagine what this family could do to me, should they find me betraying them? No." She shook her head. "If they are to go down, no one can know I had a hand in it."