Chapter 57: On bended knee

"Accident counts for much in companionship as in marriage."

-Henry Adams
⚜️

The silence that followed was deafening. It was as if a bell was struck somewhere far—you knew it was ringing yet you cannot grasp the sound. Even their breaths failed to penetrate the thoughts that came to mind. So much so that Damian felt suffocated.

"Countess, with all due respect, I cannot seem to believe what you just said was true."

Margeary put down her tea cup and met his glaring eyes, "Unfortunately it is the truth, your grace."

Lucille whimpered, "How...how could your son do this?" Her eyes began to tear up, "I trusted him because he has been so kind to Rose. And now this...oh dear lord."

"Mother, you must keep your wits about you." Damian wrapped one arm around his mother while he struggled to keep the reins on his sanity.

"I apologize if I have caused you distress, your grace. Any family would hate to be part of any scandal, so I do understand how your mother feels." Margeary said, drawing his attention back to her. "This is why I made the first step to break the news to you. My husband has already agreed to offer for Miss Roderick, we need only to announce their engagement to avoid any nasty gossip."

"Gossips are the last thing where my my mind is right now." Damian snapped. "We are still trying to understand how this....thing happened."

Margeary looked away and appeared to be uneasy, "She and my son, Gideon, were believed to be found in a compromising situation at the towers."

"Compromising how?"

She flinched, "I..I believe you are familiar with the term, your grace. Were you not, not so long ago, caught in one? People said as much, your marriage was all suspicious."

"You are crossing the line, countess. I suggest you answer the question asked instead of doing the opposite."

"I do not mean to..." and then she decided to stop tip toeing, "very well, since you wish to know I shall tell you. It all started when Miss  Roderick attended my tea party."
***

It had been some time now since Damian went inside the drawing room. Em tried to press her ears but changed her mind on the very last minute. So she grabbed a nearby chair and sat a few paces away from the door. She will wait no matter how long it takes, they will have to emerge at some point.

Minutes passed and still no movement from inside. Em was now shaking her hands to ward off the anxious feeling around her. Surely, the countess had not known she and Gideon came back alone? Or that they shared a kiss for a passing moment?

"You seem to be in deep thoughts."

She almost jumped out of her seat but managed to stay up right. "I do have some thinking to do."

Dathan gave her a gentle smile, "I suppose you are deciding what to do with me?"

"I told you to give me time to think it over."

"And you ran away without my approval." He leaned against the wall so he could tower over her, his eyes glared at the closed door. "Is mother with a guest?"

"Yes. The duke is in there with her."

"I care naught if brother hides in there. He has been evading everyone in the house." He said flatly. "They may be discussing his future—a boring topic if you ask me. So why don't we head outside? The weather looks nice, we can ride towards town."

"Your mother might ask for me."

"Dare not use my mother as an excuse, Em. She can very well move around without you." He pulled her up and dragged down the hallway, "A few hours then we shall return."