Chapter 59: Knight over flowers

"The final test of a gentleman is his respect for those who can be of no possible service to him."

-William Lyon Phelps
⚜️

The rest of the evening passed by in a blur. Em was constantly bombarded with greetings and the names got all mixed up with the faces.

Three ladies came and approached Gideon first, as if Em did not matter.

"Felicitations Sir Gideon." Said the blonde. "I should say, we shall miss having you around."

To which Gideon merely smiled, "I thank you for the greetings, my lady. Though I shall be absent from the rest of the season, I shall not be obscured from society. That I can assure you."

The women looked at him adoringly. And who could blame them? Gideon was much pleasant to the eyes, his sense of fashion was incomparable and aside from all that, he was a real gentleman. He was one knight in the midst of flowers all around him. The kind of man any woman would want on her side.

A deadly combination to go against, one man once said. Gideon was the kind who could have any woman he wanted and all the other suitors would have no chance. No one dared to think of ever competing least they get into a duel, one could only think the ending. It shall be favorable to the knight.

"So, when is the wedding going to be? Do you not think you ought to wait for the season to end?" Asked one of the ladies. "I meant no offense of course but to be engaged this early seemed...odd."

Em wondered what she meant by "odd". People got engaged and married way earlier than they did. This was no surprising turn of events. So she turned around and faced the intruders. They also turned their attention to her and Em wondered who was more surprised, her or them.

"Wait...weren't you that.." one the ladies began to say but her next words just stammered.

Em pulled her remaining strength and smiled, "Good evening, ladies." She recognized them immediately. Who could forget the faces of the women who pushed her down in the middle of the ballroom? "I appreciate you coming over to give us your felicitations."

The ladies' gawked at her looking lost and stupefied.

Gideon noticed the awkwardness and asked, "Have you ladies met? If not, allow me to introduce—"

"It is quite fine, Sir Gideon." Em snapped. "We have been introduced before. Have we not Lady Carmel?"

The lady's eyes went wide and her jaw dropped. "I...I do not seem to recall."

Em raised a brow, "Of course. How silly of me." She wrapped her arms with Gideon, "We merely bumped with each other during the ball at the towers. Most unfortunate, if I may say. I never got to properly introduce myself."

The ladies seemed uncomfortable. They recalled their encounter of course but how could they say that they bullied her? And that they did not even recall her name. So Carmel and her friends feigned ignorance.

"I had been to countless balls and I barely socialize with people from the country side. That was probably why I cannot recall you." She smiled. "My family is somewhat strict with whom I speak with, as you may understand, my father is a Viscount. His word is the law."

"I do not doubt that." Em replied. If she was going to suffer this forced engagement then might as well make use of it while she still can. Seeing Carmel's angry face gave her some sort of satisfaction. "How do you know my fiancé? Forgive me, I have met a few of his acquaintances and I still have do not know that many."

Carmel's smile faltered. Even her friends could not hide the dislike when she used the word. Em could tell how the lady appeared to be heads over heels with Gideon. It was quite a sight to see her struggle keep up that stupid smile.