Chapter Thirty: Night before the wedding

"Family is supposed to be our safe haven. Very often, it's the place  where we find deepest heartache."
-Iyanla Vanzant

⚜️
Dinner later that night

Lucille, Vincent, Julianna and Damian sat quietly at the table. The family requested that the other guests will dine separately. Personal matters are to be discussed. Hence, they were the only ones present. All except one.

"Where is that brother of yours, Damian?"

"He had some matters of import to attend to, Father. And he told me he cannot join us tonight. Dathan sends his deepest apologies." He replied without looking at his father or anyone in the table. Not even Julianna.

"He is feeling well, is he not?" Lucille asked.

"He is well. You have my word he will be up and about on the morrow." 

After that the table was quite again. Julianna was eyeing her brother carefully. Something was off but she could not place her finger what it was. The candle lights were making shadows at his face but nothing seemed out of the ordinary. He looked like what he looked before.

She had hoped he would spend some time with her like he did in the past. But ever since he arrived with Lady Warrick they rarely exchanged more than morning greetings. She terribly missed her brother—Damian. He taught her how to play the pianoforte because she hated listening to her governesses or tutors. They often told her she did not have the talent for music and must exert more effort. But Damian's gentle coaxing she learned. She wondered if he changed after being far from home.

"I trust everything is in place?" Vincent asked after a few moments.

"Yes, dear. Everything is ready. Our son will be wed tomorrow and nothing can stop it. You can rest easy." Lucille said.

"That is best thing I heard today." He wiped his mouth and stood. Everyone turned their heads, "Do stay and finish the meal, I have called upon the lawyer to finalize some matters and I shall attend to it now."

"Do try not to stay so late." Lucille said.

"I shall try." Vincent gave her a small kiss on the forehead and left the dining room.

Servants came and took his plate and served dessert. Julianna waited for Damian to speak but he merely resumed eating. It was like her brother did not know she existed.
***

After dinner Lucille repeatedly told her children of the importance of the event the next day. Most of it were directed to her son, Damian. They all went to gather at the drawing room. It was empty save for Coleen and Oscar who were just leaving as they entered the room.

"Are you listening to me, Damian?"

"Hmm?" He raised his head and looked away from the window. "Oh, yes, yes mother. I heard every word."

"I highly doubt about that." She replied. "Jules? Why don't you head to your room and I shall tuck you in?"

Julianna was still baffled by such indifference her brother displayed. He heard that they missed him the entire day and they had no idea where he was. After the guests have settled to their rooms for the night he suddenly emerged. She thought it was because their father had summoned him. He always did listen to him. Ever since he arrived she noticed a slight change. Like the way he walked slightly in favor to his left rather than his right side. The way his eyes stayed low as if he did not wish anyone to pay attention to him. When dinner was served he was really quite. It was very odd but mayhap she had just been tired from all the rehearsals they did this morning. She had been chosen as the flower bearer for the wedding and she wanted to be perfect for her performance. "Of course mother. Will you tell me a bedtime story?"