Chapter 60: The helpful prince

"It is not so much our friend's help that helps us, as the confidence of their help."

-Epicurus
⚜️

Alexi came! She should be happy yet she was not. Em stared at her saviour.

"How did you come so soon?" Did the boy find him lurking in some bushes?

"I have my men watching over you. He took the letter from the boy and gave it to me."

"And you were just sitting in your room when the letter made its way to you?"

"Perhaps."

"How convenient." She said.

He shrugged, as if keeping an eye on her was an everyday task. She would not want to argue with him on that. Or whatever reason he may have for doing it so. At least it provided her immediate response.

"You should leave this house, Em. The countess will surely hound you to prepare for the wedding soon. Much too soon."

"You've heard of the engagement?"

"Of course. It was the talk all over town and the papers this morning had them, too." He paused and added, "And I was at the palace as well, when the announcement was made."

"I have not known you were around." She wondered if he would've been able to help her if she had seen him around.

"Well, I was with Prince Ylsien when the announcement was made. I had no heart to wish you felicitations, seeing how Gideon and I were contenders."

"Yet you came when I called for you."

"You may have forgotten but I did say I promised the dowager to protect you." He scratched his head, "Though I feel guilty that day when you went to the towers, I was away on some errand and no one told me you were alone with that man. I only heard of it when my men spotted Dathan arriving."

All this time, he was watching over her. Were princes supposed to always honor their promises? Alexi's actions seemed a bit much for some girl like her.

"I...I cannot thank you enough. But surely, you have other reasons for helping me. Do you want anything in exchange?"

"You are so suspicious, Em. But, you are not far from the truth. There is a matter I wanted but that thing is not from you, however, I could think of something else you could do for me." He walked around for a bit. "I wanted to steal you last night but circumstances forced me to stay back."

Em sighed, "I would have wanted that to happen but it would only draw bad attention to you. Last night had been a storm no one prepared me for. I believe there is no way out of it."

Alexi nodded, "If you look at it, you are doomed. I spoke with Vincent before they went home and even if he refused to tell me how it happened but I knew it was against their will." He looked up and sighed, "The Hanselworth's are not going to be an easy enemy. They even forced the dowager to give you up which just shows how dangerous they can be. I knew something was off with that man." He meant Gideon. "My sources told me to be wary of him and when I heard he was also courting you, it got me curious. I still have not found anything on the man but my people are doing their best to dig up any dirt."

Em's jaw dropped, "You are investigating Gideon?"

"Not just him. But his entire family."

"Are they some sort of...bad people?"

"Bad is a gentle word for them. But I cannot tell you more so you can settle for "bad" for now. Fret not, I am determined to help you get away from him."